XXIII.

First was the shock. Shock was the only emotion that I knew at the moment. I dumbly stared at False as she picked at her brown gloves, waiting for a verbal reaction.

Then came the denial. She couldn't have known. The only time it came out of my inventory was when I threw it in my started base. There was no way in all of Minecraft she could have known.

"How did you know..." I trailed off. "You- you couldn't have." She nodded, understanding my surprise.

"A few days ago I felt a power surge that was Watcher magic. The only person around was you, and it was still radiating off your skin." False explained in a small voice.

"Y-you're a W-Watcher also?" I sputtered. She only nodded. "Why would you ask about the mask? What's so bad about it?" She sighed in relief, looking at the sky and putting a hand to her chest.

"That means you didn't. Good. Actually, can you give it to me?" She asked, holding her hand out. I numbly nodded, lost in this situation. As soon as I touched it, that voice from earlier came back.

Don't give it to her, put it on.

I hesitantly stopped, looking at it.

"Grian, give it to me. Please. It's for our safety." False pleaded, feet preparing to stand.

Don't give it to her, put it on.

"I..." I said. She stood up, towering over me. I pulled the mask away, out of her reach.

Don't give it to her, put it on.

"Grian, please." False demanded, grabbing my other wrist.

"But-"

"Don't listen to the voice. You can't fight something in your own head off." Begged False, holding her hand out again. My eye twitched as a dull pain started growing in my head.

"What do you m-"

Don't give it to her, put it on.

As if in a trance, I started to bring the mask closer to my face. False yelled for me to stop, but I barely heard. She tackled me, knocking us both to the floor. I kneed her in the stomach, knocking the wind out of her. False grunted and pinned me to the floor, ignoring the knee I sent. I yelped as she put her knee on my arm. Ripping the mask out of my hand, she reached into her brown boot and pulled a shiny weapon out.

It was an obsidian dagger.

I tried to throw False off me with complicated moves I learned, but she countered every single one. She set the mask on the floor, still pinning me to the floor. I struggled under her, trying to get her off me. I screamed as she drove the dagger down, straight into the center of the mask. It shattered like glass.

Then suddenly, the pain and urge to hurt False stopped. I looked around, confused. What had just happened started going foggy in my memory. I clenched my eyes closed, putting my hands over my face. I released a shaky breath, rolling onto my side.

False exhaled a breath she didn't know she held. She looked at me in concern. I looked back with confused yet grateful eyes.

"Grian...? Are you alright?" She asked, pushing a strand of her yellow hair out of her face. I hesitantly nodded, confused with what just happened.

"I... I believe so... I'm sorry for screaming-" She shook her head, getting to her feet.

"No, it's alright. It wasn't you, either. It was the influence of the mask." She turned her blue eyes away from me.

"Excuse me? What?" I asked, contracting my eyebrows.

"That, my fellow Watcher, was their way of controlling Minecraft. Put it on, and you'll never have free will ever again." False explained, reaching her hand down to me.