Chapter 9

"So, where is she?" I ask.

We went out of the mall and is now hiding in an apartment five blocks away.

Those that you have added as "friends" will be able to locate you no matter where you are. Joining a team will only share benefits so it's something different from being "friends" in this game. That's why you do not add anyone as friends in this game.
"Uh wait let me check... she's...at the Yushun School."

Wait?! There!?

...i think I know what's going on.

"Prepare for combat," I say, passing an average revolver and some ammo to her.

"Wait, what?"

"That place...is currently being overrun by a group of players...they kidnap and extort other players ever since the first day of stage 1. I'm thinking they already planned to do this ever since the start."

"T-Then?! We are killing all of them."

I nod. "Correct, there are 29 of them. I will try to distract them. You will go in and save your friends from behind. Behind the school is a giant fence. Climb over it and climb through the window on the last to the right, afterwards step forward and go left to a staircase. I guess that they keep the hostage on floor 3 in classroom 2-F. If you don't follow my instructions just now, you will trigger the alarm, understand?"

"I...how do you know all that?" Says Reina.

...In my previous life. One girl player I met was kidnapped by them on Day 9. In the end, I managed to convince Aki and the others to save her. But in the end, those players are just a bunch of perverts...they...

"Karma?"
"Oh?! Nothing, I scouted that place as I was a 'student' there."

I look at my hand, I am subconsciously clenching. True... I was very angry once I knew what they did to her. I went on a killing spree.

Arghh...oh yeah I forgot I liked her too. That must be why I was so angry. What's her name again?...meh whatever. Nobody cares at this point.

"Let's go. We execute the plan at 3 Am. Right now is 11 pm. Get some rest, I wake you up when it's time."

"Oh...thanks."

...
--------
This girl...she went to sleep.

How much does she trust me? Her helpless defenceless body is just lying on the couch...

No wonder she was raped. How dense is she?

I sigh and got up. It's really quiet tonight. The zombies in the streets are being quiet too. Some zombies emerge from thin air, those are respawned zombies.

Jeez...there's no end to them. I should start finding that cure latest by the third day.

I climb out of the apartment through the window and grab the bricks above, parkouring my way up to the roof.

Once on top, I sit down on the edge and stares at the direction of the sound I can hear. Despite being so late, some survivors are still out fighting...oh they are bitten.

Foolish, they have the stamina they need to at least sleep or rest. But somehow...i feel restless. I feel something burning in my chest. I grasp it tightly and grit my teeth.

Is this a feeling of vengeance? Do I want to take revenge so badly that's why I'm feeling like this? It doesn't hurt but instead fires me up. I feel like I have the energy to even run to the end of the earth...

Am I the chosen one? What rubbish. If I am, why would I be suffering like this?
I wouldn't be playing this game in the first place if...all those tragedies didn't fall upon my family.

Is it fate? Is it destiny? Or is it wrath? I don't know. I don't care.

But there's one very obvious thing:

I WILL NOT LET EVERYTHING END.

Not this time. I will win this screwed up game and change my fate. Even if it means going against something as powerful as God himself...

...

If not...

How will I survive in this cruel world?...

Tears start falling down my cheek. It's embarrassing for a grown-up 19-year-old gaming addict like me to cry...but it's the cold hard truth. I'm useless, I couldn't do anything.

I want to change.

I want to decide my fate.

I want to...win for once.

I wipe my tears and look at those struggling survivors, they already become goners as their intestines are pulled out and chewed on by the zombie. They have no choice but to feel every moment, every pain of it.

"Karma? What's wrong? You look really sad." Says Reina.

"Y-You?! How long have you been there..."

"Umm just recently."

I sigh. "Go get some rest, we have to fight tomorrow."
"What about you?! You also need to fight! You are going to fight a lot more than me."
"You should not worry about me-"

"Why!!" Reina screams. "Why must I not worry about my saviour and teammate?!"

...

I avert my eyes from her.

Reina pouts and sits down beside me.
"If you are not going to sleep, I won't too."

"What...you damn brat."

"Who's the real brat here? Huh?"

...

Looking at her face, I smile and laughs. How pathetic am I?

"Fine fine. Let's go."

...

Damn it. This girl is dangerous.