96. crumbling

-Bellamy-

-Bellamy-

I sat in one of the chairs in mine and Avery's room later that night, awaiting her return from medical. I was angry, more at myself than anything. She was alive, which was a miracle, but she had still been at risk. She had almost died and that was because of me.

My mind soon found itself travelling back to the moment Raven's voice came through that radio when we were in Polis. Only a day had past since then, but it had felt like a lifetime. The minute that call came in, my whole life crumbled.

"Bellamy, Bellamy come in." Raven's voice was full of pain and sadness as it came through the radio, plunging me into instant worry. Something wasn't right. The assassin hadn't shown like Echo promised it would, we were wrong- I was wrong.

Raven spoke again before I had a chance to respond, "The Grounders attacked Mount Weather."

I kept my eyes trained on the Commander as I reached down and freed the radio from my belt, "What are you talking about?" I demanded, my voice wavering. This had to be a mistake, it had to.

The words that left her mouth next were ones I had never wanted to hear, ones that brought the world down around me. "It's gone, it's all gone, they're all gone," she cried, "Sinclair and I are the only ones left."

"I'm so sorry," she sobbed, the pain she was feeling emanating through the small device in my hand, "I'm so sorry."

Reactions of shock flew around the room as everyone adjusted to the new they had just heard. I stood frozen in place, my mind spinning as I tried to process her words...this couldn't be true. Avery couldn't be dead, she couldn't be.

I felt like my legs were going to collapse from beneath me as my glassy, angry eyes looked up to meet Clarke's and then the Commander's. I need an explanation and I needed it now.

But it turned out it wasn't them who were going to provide me with an explanation as to why my girlfriend was dead, no, instead it came from the Ice Nation ambassador.

He took a few steps forward, so he was in front of us, his back to the Commander, "You should have never moved your people back into Mount Weather." he barked, his eyes full of pride and anger, "Ice Nation did what Lexa was too weak to do." He spun around, meeting eyes with his Commander.

If Kane hadn't of taken my gun away, I would have shot that man right then and there. As far as I was concerned, he was a dead man walking.

I numbly watched as Lexa reacted to what Ice Nation had done, deeming it as an act of war, and in turn arresting both the delegation and the prince. But it wasn't enough, it wasn't enough to undo what had been done.

Abby spoke up, instructing that we needed to get back to Arkadia as it could be next. I kept my watery eyes on Clarke, trying to decipher what was going through her mind.

"Clarke, we need to go now." I spoke for the first time since the radio call with Raven. My voice was shaky and it was full of pain. Nothing could explain the devastation that I was feeling right now, but I knew I had to hold it together until we were back at Arkadia, until I was alone.

Clarke didn't say anything in response to my plea, Lexa spoke instead. "We need an ambassador from the thirteenth clan to stay in Polis."

My eyes flickered to Clarke who stared back at me with sympathy, "It's not safe here." I argued, feeling betrayed in this moment. I had just lost one of the most important people in my life, the woman I loved most aside from my sister and I needed my friend, I needed Clarke.

"Clarke will be safe here, under my protection." Lexa promised. But her promises didn't mean anything to me, not anymore.

I gave Clarke a final pleading look, but she simply shook her head. She wasn't coming with us.

I turned, unable to look at her anymore. My throat and jaw ached from trying to hold in the tears, I couldn't bear it much longer.

As we began the descent from the tower, Octavia arrived at my side, placing her hand in my own. When she looked up at me, I saw the tears in her eyes. She had lost her best friend too.

The sadness in my little sister's face was enough to finally break me.

A single warm tear fell from my eye.

"What are you thinking about?" Avery's voice came from the door of our room. I jumped, startled at her arrival.

She was cleaned up, the dirt washed from her face and the wounds cleaned, fresh bandages covering parts of her body. She was alive, and she was okay, but she was broken nonetheless.

I didn't realize I was crying until I felt wetness on my face. I quickly reached up to wipe it from my face, I hated showing weakness, even around Avery.

Her face softened as she took a few quick steps toward me, "Bell," she whispered, her own eyes becoming sad as she sat beside me on the bed, "What's going on?" she inquired gently.

I didn't say a word at first, but instead pulled her into my grasp, "I'm sorry" I whispered, feeling myself relax and she snaked her arms around me.

She nodded against my chest, instantly knowing what had me so upset, "I'm okay." she promised, her voice muffled from my shirt, "I'm okay."

-an-

thank you to -everythintrash for requesting a chapter from the perspective of Bellamy when he got the radio call from Raven. I hope you liked it! :)

get ready guys...things are going to start getting rough

-maddy xoxo