forty

I've never been so nervous my whole life since the day my dad announced that I'm the new CEO of our company. Today, on a Monday, my heart has been beating so fast while I wait for Eunwoo and Taehyung inside my office.

I almost jumped out of my swivel chair when someone knocked on the door.

"Jisoo?" I heard Eunwoo's voice from outside. I sighed in relief, holding my chest as I calmed myself down.

"Come in." I finally said, now trying to focus on the papers on my desk

Eunwoo came in with a smile. He was holding two cups of coffee and placed one on my coffee table before sitting on the couch beside it.

I gave him a half smile as I sat down on the couch across him, a scene oddly familiar as I remembered how JK and I recently ate together here.

"No more 'good morning' from you now huh?" I asked him

"Hey, I bought you coffee." He pouted. "And I figured you'd be too nervous when you finally meet him again."

"Eunwoo, coffee's going to make me more nervous." I deadpanned

He blinked twice, "Sorry?" I glared at him before taking a sip of my coffee . "Sorry, I'm nervous too. Are you sure with your friend's plan?"

I almost choked on my coffee when he said that. I fanned myself before saying, "Who told you that?"

"Jungkook texted me last night about your plan…" Eunwoo looked confused, "Am I not supposed to know about it?"

I sighed. "He even included you in their plan. They're unbelievable!"

"Are they sure he's still in love with you?"

"No. I'm just going along with their plan to pretend I'm JK's girlfriend so I'd get to tell them firsthand that Taehyung and I aren't really meant for each other."

Eunwoo scoffed. "Yeah, keep saying that."

"What do you mean?"

"Four years ago, you transferred in our uni with the help of Jin's friend, met V in our university not knowing about his family background. Then you discovered that Yoongi's the friend Jin was talking about, the one who helped you get in our uni faster. You love chicken so much, V works in a meat restaurant. Both of you are in the same course, same section. You both like singing and playing games. Just last week, you discovered that he's the first boy that you're supposed to marry instead of me. Now, after four years, we're waiting for him here to talk about business. What are you saying that you're not meant for each other when fate itself keep on trying to get you both in the same room?"

I groaned," Seriously, Eunwoo? You really didn't have to point those out. You just made me realize things and be more confused with my feelings. "

Eunwoo only chuckled before drinking his coffee.

"How's Jin Woo, by the way? How did he get sick?"

"Well, it rained yesterday, right? The maid lost sight of Jin Woo when she was busy cooking his food, she found him alone outside while playing with the rain."

"I hope he's feeling okay now."

"He's getting better. Dahyun didn't go to work to take care of our kid."

"You finally love her, don't you?" I asked with a smile. "I've seen the three of you looking like a genuine happy family last event."

"Yeah, it's not that hard, anyway. We were best friends since high school, and she's really changed after that.. Well.. Situation."

"I'm glad you gave her a chance." I silped my coffee. "It's hard to get a chance to change these days."

Right after I spewed my last line, there was a knock on the door which then revealed my secretary.

"Sorry to interrupt, Mr. Cha and Ms. Kim." Yeri said, "But Mr. Kim is already here."

My eyes widened before meeting Eunwoo's, who only smiled at me like he's giving me reassurance that this little meeting will end alright.

Curse him and his reassuring smile.

When I couldn't open my mouth to speak, Eunwoo finally initiated, "Let him in." Eunwoo and I stood up when Yeri got out and Taehyung came inside.

Gracefully walking towards us, Taehyung wore a black suit and shoes, with a bag that matches his all black look.

Damn, he's so ethereal even with a simple outfit.

He stopped when he was ready in the middle of the two couches placed beside my coffee table.

"Good afternoon, V!" Eunwoo beamed and shook his hand while I stood there frozen.

I looked at him and waited for him to sit beside Eunwoo. When he still kept on standing, Eunwoo said, "You can si-", but only to be stopped by Taehyung's sudden action.

The man chose to sit on the couch beside me. Eunwoo slowly sat down on his couch alone, a nervous smile now on his face.

I didn't know how to react in this kind of situation. Why would he sit beside me? I was about to lose it when a hand suddenly gripped my wrist. "Sit down, Jisoo. We have a lot to talk about. Let's not waste time."  I don't know what happened but the next thing I knew, I let him pull me down to our seat.

"Seeing that we've known each other since eollege, I don't think we need to be too formal around here, right?" Eunwoo started the conversation, "But first, how are you, V?"

"Never been better." Taehyung replied.

I decided to just hold my coffee and slowly drink it to avoid being involved in the conversation, especially since Taehyung's seated just a foot away from me.

"That's good to hear!" Eunwoo chuckled, "Since when did you get here?"

"Last Wednesday."

"Did you know that it's Jisoo's company that you'll be collaborating with?"

"Not really. I was only informed during your company's anniversary, when we met again." V said then, from my peripheral, I saw him shift from his seat to look at me. "Are you going to keep on drinking your coffee during this meeting, Jisoo?"

I furrowed my eyebrows and looked at him, "I have nothing to contribute to this conversation just yet." I tried to keep my voice calm and collected, like a moved on woman should sound like when she's in front of an ex… fling? We didn't even have a label that time! Why am I so worked up on this!

"What have you been doing for the past 4 years then?" he asked.

I sipped my coffee and said, "Nothing much. Just working. You?" That's it. Stay sounding casual, Soo. You can do it.

"I waited." He simply said. I finally looked at him, confused yet he didn't care to elaborate what he said.

The room became quiet after that until Eunwoo cleared his throat. "Let's just talk about business, shall we?"

Did I hear Taehyung right? Am I thinking the same thing as what he implied?