2: suton

Chapter 2: Suton
   (n) The approach of death or the end of something, twilight.

The nights in Bangkok never felt so lively as I try to see the familiar streets outside. Wait, why am I looking at the streets in Bangkok? I must be dreaming. I was sure that I was in the campus a minute ago. Even so, why am I in a car?

Specks of black darken my vision and my mind is completely numb. My stomach growled angrily and I looked at my side. As soon as my eyes darted towards the driver of the car, I immediately realized why my stomach growled.

"Had a nice nap, sleeping beauty?" Tharn said while smirking. Oh how I want to tear that smirk of his.

"It was nice until I woke up and saw your ugly face." I glared at him and shifted uncomfortably in my sit. I don't remember what happened and I just stared at the red of the traffic lights.

"Liar. You slept peacefully in the pavement when I saw you at school. You even have dried saliva on your face." He said while lifting his hands to wipe my face. But before he could touch my skin, the car behind us honked.

We were silent afterwards and I went to reach for my phone and there were 12 missed calls from mom and a text indicating which room they are currently occupying. And the memory of the call hit me.

"Hey drive me to ****** Hospital immediately!" I shouted at Tharn and we almost bumped the car in front of us. If I was not in a hurry, I would have laughed at his face turned even paler that Snow White would be embarrassed.

"In the name of— Calm down, you hormonal person. We are in route to the hospital. Your mom called me earlier and told me to give you a ride." My heart could not stop beating fast and a whirlwind of thoughts enter my mind. I hope my father is alright. I have yet to make him proud.

As we reached the hospital, I rushed to the room and saw my dad ghastly pale sleeping in the hospital bed. A current of emotions swelled inside me and it became hard to see. My eyes are blurry and I am trembling from fear. I hugged my mom as soon as I saw her, my eyes not leaving the body of my father.

I sat at the couch and Tharn sat beside me at a distance.

"Have you both eaten? I will buy something." My mother said and went outside. The atmosphere turned heavy. My mind is hazy and everything seemed to replicate itself; I could not see clearly.

Before Tharn could say a word or help me, I ran to the bathroom and puked. The bitter taste of vomit immersed my throat. Just when I thought that I was done vomiting, bile rose again and I vomited for the second time.

When I finished, I saw Tharn beside me uttering something while rubbing circles on my back and helped me stand up. I gargled with hopes of removing the bitter aftertaste, to no avail. I was about to lie in the couch when Tharn suddenly grabbed my head and put it in his thigh. I want to argue, but I do not have the energy to do so. His hand caressed my hair, and I wanted to push him away but its too much work.

In a matter of minutes, my mother entered bringing congee and water. She stopped for a second, noticing the unusual friendliness that Tharn and I shared. Me too mom, I, too, am shocked.

She brought the food to the table in front of the couch and slap my thigh. I just winced and listen to my mom's endless rants that I should drink my medicine and eat healthy foods since I have anemia. It's not my fault if I forget to eat! I've been preoccupied with advanced business lessons and soccer training lately. Or sometimes I'm busy playing Cookie Run.

I just ate the congee without offering Tharn since he is talking to my mom and sharing jokes. I guess he's the new son. But I do not mind them and put the congee straight into my mouth.

"Fuck that's hot!" I yelled, and immediately regretted it. Tharn could not stop laughing until he went beet red and my mom pinched me. I tell you, pinches from your mom is one of the painful things you will be able to experience in life.

"Who taught you that, Type? Going to college makes you lose your manners. Why can't you be more like Tharn?" My mom said and I asked myself again, is he the new son?

With all the ruckus that I accidentally caused, my dad moved and woke up. I rushed to his side and helped him sit. I am the one who is in front of him, but his eyes wander at the person behind me.

"You have to rest, dad. You need to take care of your health and sleep a lot." I told him and he just smiled. But I was not comforted with that smile.

"Iwill rest after this. I just have an important news to tell you." The bile in my stomach attempts to rise again. "You have to marry Tharn." And I puked.