26: finifugal

Chapter 26: finifugal
(n.) hating endings; of someone who tries to avoid or prolong the final moments of a story, relationship or some other journey

A/N: Thank you for the 5k reads! We're already nearing the end of the story and I want to thank everyone for supporting this book. I left some clues on who the mastermind. Can you guess it? I apologize if there is any typo or error. Anyways, stay safe everyone and happy reading!
____________________
I can't sleep after Art's call, and the police haven't notified me yet. I just sat at the sofa, petting Chopper and he seems to recognize my anxiousness as he nuzzled his head unto me, as if trying to calm me down.

How did they even locate Art? Maybe they had been eyeing him ever since, or did they locate him because of me? I felt the temperature in the room drop, maybe it's my phone or laptop that is bugged and they found Art because of that. I pushed the thought away since the idea is absurd.

One thing that I cannot stop thinking about is how am I going to fight two enemies at once. Maybe the other wants the company and the other wants Tharn. Maybe it's the same person? I feel like I'm dancing on thin ice, as if one wrong move could get me killed. And I came up with a decision: I won't use this phone or laptop again. For safety.

As for my next move, I want to ask P'Zee's help or maybe P'Thorn's, but I may be bugged so it's almost impossible.

Suddenly, the lights went on, stopping my thoughts.

"Type? Why are you still awake?" Chopper immediately recognized the voice and went to the owner. I just stared at him, and I want to tell him but my throat is dry.

I stood up and look at the nooks and corners of the room, and saw bugs and cameras everywhere. I know that Max is the one who put the bugs but still. I could just explain it to him tomorrow and I went to remove all the bugs.

Tharn just looked at me, confused as ever as he went to sit on the sofa. After I deactivated the bugs, I sat next to him.

"They have Art." I said, almost a whisper, and I felt guilty. "Art called me approximately one hour ago... then I heard a gunshot. They must have taken him, although I don't know who. And these bugs are for me, Max put them. I don't want to disclose it to him yet." Good thing that I recorded the call with Art, and I replayed it to Tharn.

As inappropriate as it can be, a thought came into my mind. If Tharn new that Art was being blackmailed, would he stay? Would he still want to marry me? Knowing that the answer is no made my heart clench, and I tried to keep my face blank.

Tharn's eyebrow creased and worry is etched through his face. Is he thinking of leaving me and reuniting with Art? Maybe I shouldn't have entered the picture, and they'd be happy together. If I was not in the picture, none of this would happen. Sudden insecurities plagued my thoughts. Tharn deserved better than me, and there is Art.

If I find and saved Art, I will let Tharn go and be happy with him. I swear it.

It will hurt, yes. But atleast both of them will be happy. They deserve to be. I looked at Tharn and he looks crestfallen and I want to read his thoughts. Then, the record stopped.

We went silent for a second, and it was deafening.

"I still have no updates from the police. Don't worry, I'll do what I can to find and bring him back." Bring him back to you. I looked up to stop the tears from falling into my eyes, and I closed my eyes.

"Let me call P'Thorn first. Go to sleep, Type. Let's talk about this tomorrow." Tharn ruffled my hair and kissed my forehead. I just nodded and went to the bedroom immediately, and covered myself. I coaxed myself to sleep, again with a heavy heart.