𝓲𝓯𝓽𝓶 IX

I woke up with a sore neck and I found myself leaning on Jed's shoulders, he's clearly awake and I'm certain our classmates are already outside the bus.

"Oh gosh." I immediately wiped the corners of my lips in thought of possible drooling. Thank goodness, there isn't.

"I'm sorry, did I wake you up?" I just got more embarrassed when he asked me that and shook my head wildly.

"No, sorry, I must've made your neck ache even more." I said remembering how he complained about the sore on his nape earlier.

He just shrugged and slung his bag on his broad shoulders. He helped me pick up my bag that was carelessly thrown on the floor.

He stayed quiet as we walk towards the bus door, usually, I won't say anything and just enjoy his presence. But I got a new found strength so..

"So tell me, how'd you got in the black team?" His shoulders jumped a bit, maybe not expecting me to speak or something.

"I just sneaked in here."
Confusing was etched on my face. Sneaked? You mean to tell me he just wanted to change teams and went on his way about it?

"What?"
He turned his head on me and brushed his hair, we are now standing outside the bus. He looked around then slid his hands on his black hoodie.

"No one will notice anyway." He said like it was nothing. I almost face palmed. What a typical Jed.

While I am having a talk with myself about Jed's weirdness, I suddenly felt the weight behind me lessened. He lifted my backpack.

"How do you carry something heavy like this?" He asked, almost like a statement. He then proceeded to lift my backpack up and down as if he's lifting weights.

"It's not that heavy."
I tried craning my neck to see his reactions because he's behind me, still holding my bag.

He didn't answer so I took that as an "okay".

"Walk." My eyebrows furrowed, he's commanding me? What am I? His dog?

Well funny because after he said that, my feet made its way towards the direction I don't even know where is headed.

I saw few students on the area already. Some were arranging tents, some were carrying woods, camping bags, some were snacks.

I continued walking, Jed still behind me, his left hand lifting my backpack while his right was inside his pockets.

I puffed my cheeks, he's really unbelievable, if he's somebody else he must've just asked to carry my bag himself, but no. He's Jed and he's different as fuck..

Roaming my eyes around, I felt the excitement surge through my veins. This is my first time camping, but to be honest? What thrills me the most is this someone behind me.

Where could Chesca possibly be?
"Where's your—"

"There." I wasn't able to immediately respond because of how attentive he was? Does he actually know I'm looking for Chesca?

He let go of my bag and I pouted, somehow wanted to whine. He could've hold it for a little while.

"Put this in your bag."
I didn't exactly know what he put inside my backpack but it looks like a lotion? What would I do with that?

Anyways, I didn't complain and started walking towards Chesca that is talking with Jeno. She noticed me immediately and waved her hands.

"Jed you bitch, why did you ride the wrong bus?" I snapped my head towards Jed that is emotionless and is just quiet.

"I had to make an excuse that you swapped colors with someone." Chesca even held her waist while scolding him.

"I don't like green."
He said nonchalantly, no big deal, he just messed with the attendance, great.

"Green is a cool color though." I quietly mumbled remembering how I like the color of nature.

Jed cleared his throat, "I take back what I said, I don't hate it." He then turned his back to us and walked away, I saw Hemmington not too far so he's probably going towards him.

"What's up with that kid?" Jeno exclaimed, as fatherly as ever.

"He's always weird." Chesca even nodded at her own words, as if telling herself, Jed was always like that

"Anyways, Lucy, the teacher said girls can share tent whatever team they are." My eyes brightened at the news. I almost jumped.

"You don't know how anxious I was thinking I would sleep beside someone I'm not close to!" I exaggerated with big motions.

"Better behave or I'd throw you out."

"I'm behaved, ma'am!"
I saluted with a wink.

"Such a crackhead."
Chesca shook her head left to right.

•••

The night came, later by 8PM there will be a bonfire. Everyone's excited for the barbecue and marshmallows on stick.

Chesca is taking a short nap while I am searching through my bag for chapstick.

While rummaging through my stuff, I found a small bottle of insect repellent lotion. It even says "strawberry scented". I looked up trying to remember if I brought this.. I didn't.

Then I remembered it's probably Jed's. This was that thing he slid inside my bag earlier. I grinned, might as well make a use of it.

I felt the itch of insect bites since earlier so I decided to rub some of the lotion on my arms and. My legs were covered in baggy pants so I didn't bother.  I threw a red sweater and put the lotion on my pockets. I'm planning to steal some marshmallows by the bonfire.

It's already dark outside, kind of creepy, although there were some students who were also outside, they are minding their own businesses. I sat on a lodge and sighed. The stars are very bright tonight huh.

Slap.

I heard a slap from behind me, the flick of my head almost broke my neck. I thought somebody's fighting. I sighed at relief seeing it's just Jed..

Jed!?

The sudden relief turned into something suffocating, my heart beat in an unbelievable speed. He still affects me this much, after all.

He sat beside me and continued swatting insects that were biting his skin.

There were evident red marks on his arms. He wasn't wearing any jacket, just a plain white T-shirt, so he looks like a snack not only to me but to these pests.

What a shame these insects tasted him before I do. Oof.

"Why are there so many marks?"
I can't help but ask, I'm also concerned, that must be so itchy.

"Ms. Feli asked me to gather woods, my skin is sensitive to insects." That's when I remembered the lotion. Good thing I have it on my pocket.

I squeezed some on his arms, forming heart and star shapes then rubbing them. All this while my cheeks are as red as a baby's butt, what the heck, I acted on impulse again.

"Why.. why did you put it in my bag then."
I let go if his arms after applying the lotion but his eyes were still darted towards there.

He cleared his throat and finally turned his gaze to me.
"I thought you might need it."

He went closer to my arms, because my sweater's sleeves were folded, my arms were bare. He sniffed it and then nodded in satisfaction.

"Yep. You used it."