𝓲𝓯𝓽𝓶 XVIII

"We need to pass our recorded performances, ASAP."
Judy stressed out. She's one of the new recruited members of the Music Club.

Remembering how I got in here makes me really annoyed. It's not that I don't want to join the club, it's just that I preferred dancing. I already planned choreographies, even shooted myself dancing to my audition piece only to be blocked by that bitch. I massaged my temples to concentrate, I haven't prepared my performance video, I don't even ace the guitar yet.

"Good morning, Chikas!"
Ah yes, it's like the sun has risen whenever he's here. Luke the drummer.

He's holding his drumsticks above his head while marching towards our way.

He's early, I wonder why. The GEUX said beforehand that they will put a mock show today. They do this religiously as they want to always 'feel' it.

"Lukeeeee I'm doomed!"
Judy whined with a pout but Luke ignored her. I forgot they weren't really close and Luke is the type to be approachable but isn't too sociable. He doesn't like long talks unless with really close friends, but he remains the Campus Sunshine, they don't realize that.

"Eyyy Cy, lemme see your sheet."
He grabbed the music score I was holding, Judy on the other hand took it with a grain of salt and continued working on her performance.

"This looks like.." he even squinted his eyes. "a reference to Twinkle Twinkle Little Star."

I huffed my breath, I know, I thought I could make a good chord combination if I use the nursery song and just jumble it but he noticed. I forgot the fact that Luke is actually a guitarist as well, there are moments he and Charlie would switch places because Charlie plays the drum just as good.

"I know, the heck, what should I do? I don't even know every basic guitar chords." The performance is in a week!

"Why don't you play the keyboard? At least you get to have common knowledge about it."

"Harvey told us to try experimenting with instruments we don't know. It looks like he's not aware I'm a music god." I shook my head.

"You can do it, you want me to teach you?"

Teaching..

My mind drifted to the moments of seemingly just yesterday but is actually 4 days ago.

"Are you this bad at it?"
I looked at Jed with a hint of disappointment.

"Hello? I'm not a musician like YOU, sir."

He tilted his head in an angle. Crossed his arms then leaned towards me a little.

"But I've been teaching you for an hour."

My lips puckered into a pout, I tried pressing the strings and to my failure, it sounded like a whale.

"You should press it harder."
I wanted to tell him I can't because my fingers are too soft and it's actually stinging for a while now.

He grabbed my hands to place it on the right fret and string but I hissed when I felt the pain. Instantly, he let go of my hand and stared at me confusedly.

"Why?"

I quietly stared down my fingers that are currently throbbing in pain, there's a visible cut on my ring finger and I can't help but just bite my lip.

"I'm sorry..."
He looked really upset when it's not even his fault.

He stood up and went to the bathroom, he came back with a medicine kit and a damp towel.

"Give me your hands."

I looked away, really embarrassed, I closed my fists and didn't listen to him. He's doing this for what? It's my fault I'm too weak.

"Give me your hands.." he caught my eyes, "Lucia."

He didn't wait for my answer and grabbed my hands, he slowly opened them, there it is, my fingers are red although not bleeding, I know there are small cuts.

Jed clicked his tongue after shaking his head.

"I forgot you still don't have calluses."
He sighed deeply like he's in some trouble.

"It's fine, I'm good, it's n-normal— Jed!"
I can't help but exclaim when he suddenly put an ointment in it that stung as freak.

"No it's not normal. I should've went easy to you, it's your first time."
I noticed his ears went red, the ruddy tint went from his ears to his neck.

Then I just realized he made it sound like something else, now we're too blushing idiots that can't look at each other, Jed... Really. Your choice of words.

"Don't use your hands yet unless it's fully healed."

"But I need to practice!"

"And damage them more? I think not, Lucia."

And so I obeyed him. Even when he's not around, I made sure I let my fingers heal first. As of today, I think it's alright, I started practicing since two days ago.

Faint noises nearing entered my ears, that's when I know the GEUX are coming.

"Dang, I wanted to see the GEUX, but prof is asking for me. I will go now, Lucy!" Judy left in a rush, I didn't even get to answer her.

I continued fiddling with my guitar, Luke went to approach the boys.

So this is C... This string and that. I strummed and it seemed fine? I was about to do another chord when I felt someone sat, I saw a pair of chunky sneakers and of course it's Jed.

I heard the others greeted me so I greeted back then they proceeded to arrange their instruments.

Jed cleared his throat then brushed his hair up.

"Are your fingers healed?"
He casually leaned on the chair.

"Yup!"
I even showed him my five fingers.

"Your hand is pretty."
He commented, I actually get that a lot so I just showed him a proud smile.

"Don't let them hurt from the guitar too much."

"It's fine to have callus, Jed!" Truth. It's actually a sign you worked hard for learning the guitar. Could he be insecure?

He showed me his hands, so I placed mine beside him for comparison.
"Your hands are waaaay bigger than mine."

He chuckled lightly then placed my hands above his palms. Yep, really big.
"Wait until you see this—"
He said then inserted my fingers on the gap of his hands, it fits just so fine, but my heart is in pure rage, I feel somehow suffocated from the surge of feelings.

"Works like a key, huh?"