3

CHAPTER THREE

THE GOLDEN SUN that was setting created rose hues across haven's olive skinned face. dried tears sat on her cheek bones as she sat on the top of the picnic table by the cliffside. the same area where derek hale was the night before.

she sucked in a harsh breath, recollecting herself slowly. she looked at the glistening water, taking notice of the calms waves and the golden color the sun gave off.

she had asked melissa to take a walk to clear her mind and to get fresh air. she was surprised by melissa allowing her to, not expecting to be let free. typically, she was kept inside because she used to be a flight risk. but there was something calming about the way melissa seemed to her.

she was thankful for the way melissa had taken her in. the only thing that seemed to bother her was how much freedom she had. she couldn't understand why she was allowed to even come to the cliffside. she wasn't used to having control in her life. now that it seemed she did, she didn't know what to do.

a sigh left her lips, leaning back on her hands as she lifted her head up to soak in the suns beams. sunglasses covered her dark brown eyes, hiding away the bloodshot redness that were still there as well as her bruised eye.

"this your hideout too?" a masculine voice pulled haven from her thoughts making her turn around to see a guy standing behind her.

her lips parted as she took in his appearance, seeing him dressed in jeans and a grey t-shirt with sneakers, black sunglasses covering his own eyes. he had jet black hair, a broad chest and muscular arms, his frame tall and lean. he seemed quite attractive, especially with the light stubble surrounding his mouth.

"i guess you could say that." haven replied, turning back around to face the view.

he took a seat beside the girl, studying her features. though he couldn't see her eyes, he could tell they were brown. she had long, golden brown hair and fine skin, slight dimples embedded into her cheeks. her scent of lavender and mint filled his nose and he inhaled slightly, feeling addicted by it.

he mimicked her in the way she remained silent after that, not casting him another look. he could feel how tense she was, anxiety reeking from her. she held a straight face to which anyone would see that she was just another normal person. but he could see right through her facade. she was more.

"i've never seen you around before. are you new to town?" he asked her, trying to start a conversation with her. he felt the need to know more about her and he didn't know why. but he couldn't stop himself.

she didn't answer him. instead she turned her head to look at him, "why're you here?"

"why're you?" he raised his dark eyebrows, a small grin taking over his lips.

she looked away from him, breaking eye contact. she remained silent and let out a slight nod, acknowledging his clever remark.

he pulled his eyebrows together and scanned her features, searching for any answer or sign from her. when she glanced at him, he found the answer he was looking for. he could see right through her. she was empty but full at the same time.

all he did, all he could do, was give her a soft, closed mouth smile. she looked at him curiously for a moment but then turned her head, ignoring his kindness for which she couldn't reciprocate it.

the smile soon faded and his features loosened, a blank expression taking over his face. he looked forward, licking his lips.

"i know how you feel, it's not worth it." he spoke quietly, pushing himself up from the picnic table and standing straight.

"and how do you know what i'm feeling? how do you know if i even feel anything?" she asked, a hint of defense hidden in her tone.

"who else would be sitting alone by a cliff?"

she looked down for a moment before turning to look behind her, seeing him completely gone. her heartbeat accelerated, becoming heavy within her chest.