37

CHAPTER THIRTY SEVEN

SCOTT CREPT AROUND the corner in the locker room slowly after hearing a lacrosse ball bang against the lockers. his heart pounded in his chest as he felt a weird feeling coil in the pit of his stomach.

he jumped back when he came face to face with derek, letting out a huff. he walked toward derek, throwing his hands in the air frustratedly.

"thank god! where the hell have you been? do you have any idea what's been going on?" scott immediately barked questions at him.

derek said nothing, only staring straight at scott as peter came into view, holding a lacrosse stick in his hand. scott pulled his eyebrows together in confusion, staring at the older hale carefully.

"i really don't get lacrosse." peter spoke, his ocean blue eyes staring at the lacrosse stick.

"it was you." scott whispered, coming to realization of what was currently happening.

haven sighed, walking toward the locker room but stopped in her tracks when hearing voices from scott and another person. she leaned against the wall by the door, listening carefully to what they were saying.

"when i was in high school, we played basketball. that's a real sport." peter looked between the lacrosse stick and the young teen he had turned a little bit ago. "still i read somewhere that lacrosse comes from native american tribes. they played to resolve conflict."

peter stopped, looking up for a minute as he stood deep in thought. "did i have that right? i have a little conflict of my own to resolve, scott."

peter then slowly placed the lacrosse stick up against the wall in the locker room, biting back a devious smirk as he looked to scott again.

"i need your help." peter said, tilting his head to the side.

"i'm not helping you kill people." scott quickly growled, glaring at peter as he knew what he was asking for.

"well i don't wanna kill all of them. just the responsible ones. and that doesn't have to include..." peter trailed off, turning to look at derek.

"allison." derek responded, looking intensely at scott.

"you're on his side?! did you forget the part where he killed your sister?!" scott asked him in shock, not understanding why derek would suddenly side with his psychotic uncle.

haven gasped, bringing her hand to her mouth. she peeked into the locker room, seeing scott standing across from derek and peter. she gulped, leaning her head back against the wall as she continued listening.

"it was a mistake." derek told him, although he knew deep down that it wasn't a mistake.

scott stared at him wide eyed. "what?!"

"it happens." derek glared darkly at him, standing tall and intimidating.

"scott," peter began again. "i think you're getting the wrong impression of us. we really just wanna help you reach your full potential."

"by killing my friends and sister?" scott snapped, clenching his hands into fists.

"sometimes the people closest to you can be the ones holding you back the most." peter told him, not feeling any ounce of guilt. only wanting to get revenge.

"if they're holding me back from becoming a psychotic nut job like you," scott growled, dropping his head as he glared at peter. "i'm okay with that."

peter sighed, shaking his head as he stepped toward scott, growing his nails into sharp claws. "maybe you could try and see things from my perspective."

with that, peter sunk his claws into the back of scott's neck, leaving them embedded in his skin for a few moments. he then pulled them away and walked away, leaving derek staring down at scott who was on the floor, screaming in pain as peter's traumatic past flashed in his head.

haven's eyes widened as she heard footsteps grow closer and she quickly ran away from the locker room. she bumped into jackson and looked up into his blue eyes.

"you okay? you look like you just saw a ghost." he told her, giving her a worried look.

"y–yeah i'm fine. just not feeling well." she lied, unable to shake the feeling of scott's screams in pain echo in her head. "do you think you could give me a ride home?"

he nodded, giving her a small smile. "of course."

the two walked out of the school, heading toward jackson's car. as they were walking to the car, derek and peter were walking out as well, derek not failing to notice haven with jackson. although his face remained expressionless, he couldn't rid the feeling boiling inside of him.

peter pretended not to notice the anger radiating from derek as he watched jackson and haven get inside the car. he allowed a smirk to dance its way onto his face, a slight glint flickering in his blue eyes.

after jackson had dropped off haven, she quickly rushed upstairs into her bedroom. part of her was wishing for derek to come over so she could ask him to explain himself but the other part of her was angry and didn't want to see him.

she couldn't help herself. she dialed derek's number, waiting anxiously for him to answer. but she was sent straight to voicemail. she called him a second time and yet again was sent to voicemail.

she sighed, slamming her phone down on her bed and falling onto her back. she rubbed her face, staring up at the ceiling as she laid there deep in thought.

why would derek do this?