29

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE

HAVEN SUCKED IN a breath, sitting across from jason and melissa while sitting beside scott. she bounced her knee nervously, chewing on the inside of her cheek at the news she was about to receive.

scott glanced at her, sensing the anxiety reeking from her. he didn't know why she was anxious. his mom was going to adopt her and this was another step in the right direction, so why would she be nervous?

"so i found your dad, haven," jason spoke in an oddly calm, low voice tone that made her stomach turn uneasy.

"did you serve him with the papers?" she asked, her voice slightly shaky.

he nodded, a plain look on his face. "yes. but, he isn't in prison anymore."

haven's heart dropped to the pit of her stomach, staring at jason wide eyed. she felt her blood run cold at those words, clenching her jaw as she looked away. she leaned back in her seat, shaking her head as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"so what does this mean?" melissa asked, turning to face jason.

"at this point, all we can do is wait for him to sign the papers," he explained, watching a light redness form on haven's cheeks. "if he signs the papers."

"there's a chance he won't?" melissa questioned, growing irritated with this situation. in the few months haven has been with her, she's grown to love her like her own daughter.

although she was always busy at work most days, she still made sure to spend quality time with her as well as her and scott together.

"that's always a possibility. and quite frankly, it's the worse case scenario. however, if he refuses to sign them, you can file for his rights to be taken away and the judge will decide upon that." jason further explained, giving haven a frown.

"but he was in prison for how many years?! shouldn't that be a red flag for his rights to be taken away?" melissa scoffed, shaking her head in disbelief. "this isn't fair."

"it's the system." haven whispered, giving her a broken stare.

"where did you find him?" haven then asked, staring directly at jason.

"he's actually not too far from here. next town over. but there's something else i need to ask you," jason told her, ignoring the burning stare from melissa. "you don't have to answer now. i'll give you time to think about it."

"please tell me it's not what i'm thinking..." she mumbled, feeling the palms of her hands grow sweaty.

his greenish hazel eyes had a faraway look to them as he stared at her, feeling horrible for how she was currently feeling. she just couldn't catch a break.

"i need to know if you would like to see your father."

haven stared at him, her heart pounding in her chest. she hadn't seen her father in seven years. of course she missed him and wished things were different but, did she really want to see him?

melissa and scott stared at haven, frowns on their faces as she could clearly see this was affecting her. but jason saw something within her eyes–a look of hope.

•••

haven laid on her stomach on her bed, the side of her head resting on her pillow as she stared at the wall. she quickly turned when she felt the side of her bed dip. she expected it to be derek but was greeted by scott.

"you okay?" he asked her, his voice quiet.

she nodded slowly, sitting up and tucking her hair behind her ear. "i will be."

"so... you and derek?" he looked at her.

"what do you want to know?" she asked, leaning back on her hands.

"are you two like a thing? or friends? i mean, how can you trust him?" he questioned, cocking an eyebrow at her.

she rolled her eyes, turning away. "because he showed me that i can trust him. just because you think he's a bad person, doesn't mean he is. i promise he isn't a bad person. he's just had bad things happen to him."

scott sighed, licking his lips as he looked down. "i just want you to be careful. you're my sister and i'm just looking out for you."

"he won't hurt me, scott." haven sighed, looking down at her lap. "he was the first person who showed me that it's okay for me to trust people."

"just, promise me you'll be careful?" she nodded at him, giving him a small smile.

"okay. i promise." she told him before glancing at him. "so... you're a werewolf too, huh?"

he let out a long sigh, clenching his jaw. "yeah. derek says it's a gift but, i feel like it just made everything so much harder for me."

"is that why you and allison broke up?" she asked him.

"yeah," he whispered, letting out a nod. "the night at the school, when we made it out, she told me she couldn't trust me anymore."

"just give her time. it was a lot to process. we were all afraid, we didn't know what happened to you." she told him, giving him a frown.

"i know, i know." he sighed, throwing his head back as he groaned frustratedly. "derek says there's a cure. which is why i have to trust him but i don't want to trust him. i don't know how to trust him."

"you don't have to trust him to help him or let him help you. to me, it seems like he knows more about everything than you do." she told him, lifting her head to look at him.

he stared at her in thought for a moment. "i highly doubt he's going to help me after what i did."

"what did you do?" she asked, pulling her eyebrows together.

"when i told you guys that it was derek who killed those three people and that he was the one trying to kill us. i also told stiles's dad so now derek's a wanted fugitive." he explained, scrunching his face as he realized how stupid of a move he made.

she widened her eyes as she stared at him. "wow. well, that was a dumb move."

"no need to remind me. i already know." he mumbled, his cheeks flushing red in embarrassment. "i just, i didn't know what to say and i had to say and do something."

"maybe saying you didn't know would've turned out a lot better." she cocked an eyebrow as she tilted her head to look at him.

"that's not even the worst part," he said, looking away from her. "her father is a hunter. a werewolf hunter."

"well, that doesn't sound cliché at all." she spoke sarcastically, leaning back on her hands.

"when are you seeing derek again?" he asked.

"tonight, why?" she pulled her eyebrows together.

"i need you to talk to him."