50

CHAPTER FIFTY

HAVEN WALKED THROUGH through the preserve to get to the hale house to talk to derek. she hadn't seen him in a few days after finding out about him biting jackson. but she couldn't keep avoiding him. if anything, she needed him and couldn't go another day without seeing him. so here she was, walking through the woods after sundown in search of derek.

she was nearing the hale house, a small smile tugging at her lips before quickly fading as a twig snapped behind her. she quickly twisted her body around to study her surroundings. her heart began to race in her chest as her eyes scanned the area, looking for anything suspicious. but when she didn't see anything, she took a deep breath and turned to make her way to the house.

except she bumped into a hard chest, stumbling back and went to let out a scream until a hand covered her mouth, and a strong arm wrapped around her. she quickly relaxed when seeing it was just derek. though his eyes were glowing a bright red and his breathing was out of control.

haven's slightly gasped in slight fear, then looking past his broad shoulders and noticing the full moon glowing brightly in the sky. out of anyone, she would've thought derek would be the one to master and control himself on full moons. but with his newly werewolf status, he needed to learn how to control himself as an alpha. because the power was even more overwhelming than being a freshly turned werewolf.

haven swallowed thickly as a breath got caught in her throat when she felt the bark of a tree scrape against her skin. derek's strong and muscular frame caged her against the tree, his eyes still glowing and staring deeply into her eyes. at this point, her heart was pounding vigorously within the walls of her chest, ringing in derek's ears.

he let out a low growl, one that rumbled deep from his chest as his face inched closer to hers. haven knew derek wouldn't hurt her but she'd be lying if she said she wasn't slightly terrified in this given moment. she slightly whimpered and sucked in a breath as derek dropped his head into her neck, his nose brushing against her skin.

derek's finger nails were formed into his claws, scratching into the tree behind her. he took deep breaths, hoping her intoxicating scent would be enough to make him snap out of his daze. but the power pulsating through him, the anger boiling inside him, and the strong animalistic urge was beginning to overpower. his vision began to blur and turn red, making him squeeze his eyes shut and dig his claws deeper into the in attempt to avoid hurting the one he loves most.

haven found the courage to lift her arms to allow her hands to rest on derek's cheeks, slowly lifting his head so she could look in his eyes. they were still a glowing red and he growled louder this time, unable to notice the slightly frightened look in haven's eyes.

she knew he was beginning to lose control and it almost clicked instantly inside her what she needed to do. she brought one hand down to his chest, feeling his heart beat while keeping the other hand on his cheek. she used her thumb to rub his cheekbone, making him melt in her touch.

"derek, it's okay. just focus on me alright?" her voice was soft and calm, slowly pulling him out of his werewolf daze. his claws retracted back into his normal nails but his eyes were still glowing. he knew his eyes were still their glowing red so he hung his head low, trying to avoid her. because his anchor was no longer anger.

"look at me please. derek," she spoke again, causing him to lift his head completely. "i love you."

that was all he needed to hear until he was snapped out of his werewolf daze, feeling himself slowly go back into his own control. his eyes slightly widened in realization of what just happened and began to back away from haven.