28

CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT

HAVEN AND JACKSON sat in the cafeteria at school, ignoring all of the whispers and rumors going around about the night they were trapped at the school. no one had any idea it was them, which they were thankful for, but it was still making them anxious to listen to everyone.

"at least no one knows it was us that were trapped." haven sighed, leaning on her elbows that rested on the table. "i can't even try to forget about it when that's all everyone keeps talking about."

allison and lydia came over, allison sitting beside haven and lydia next to jackson. she kissed his cheek before turning to haven and allison.

"everyone keeps talking about what happened." lydia whispered, glancing around.

"at least they don't know it was us." haven said, looking past jackson and lydia to see scott hiding behind a book and stiles next to him. stiles caught haven looking and shook her head, signaling he would tell her later.

"thank you for the protection of minors." lydia sighed. "we should all do something this weekend. maybe a sleep over?"

"i could use a sleep over. i need to get things off of my mind. we could have it at my house?" allison suggested, looking between haven and lydia.

"i would have to check with scott's mom. but i'm sure it would be okay." haven said, looking up to see scott and stiles rush out of the cafeteria. "i'll see you guys later."

she stood up from the table and rushed out of the cafeteria, following after scott and stiles. she followed them out of the school and caught up to them.

"guys!" she snapped, causing them to turn and look at her. "i need to talk to you."

"about what?" they asked, glancing at each other nervously.

"derek."

•••

"stop." haven whine, scrunching her face as derek pressed his lips to her neck, pulling her toward him so her back was pressed against his chest. "i have to do my homework."

"you don't have to do anything." he mumbled, nibbling on the sensitive skin right below her ear.

she bit down on her lip, leaning her head back to rest against his shoulder as he continued kissing her neck. "d–derek, you're so annoying."

"i know."

he flipped her over, hovering over her small frame as he connected his lips with hers. she hummed into the kiss, her arms wrapping around the back of his neck to pull him closer.

she pulled back to look into his light green eyes. "i talked to scott and stiles."

"what'd they say?" he asked, moving so he was lying on his side while facing her.

"well, i told them about us. and i told them how i knew it wasn't you trying to attack us at the school. i also mentioned how i know you're a werewolf and everything..." she trailed, looking down.

he said nothing, only pushing her hair out of her face. "you told them about us?"

"yeah. i mean, i told them we're close friends. but other than that, everything else didn't seem to bother them." she told him.

close friends, he thought to himself. ouch.

"just friends huh?" he raised his eyebrows, leaning up on his forearm.

"well yeah, how else would you describe us?" she questioned, pulling her eyebrows together as she stared at him.

he tilted his head as he stared back at her. "i mean, i don't go kissing every friend i have nor do i get too close to people."

"what are you trying to say? that you..."

"have feelings for you. the past six years, it's felt like i was trapped in nothing but a hollow shadow. like i had nothing else to live for. but then i met you," he whispered, causing her heart to flutter at his words as his thumb rubbed across her cheekbone. "and everything started to make sense. i finally found a light in a dark world around me."

she stared at him speechless, not knowing what to say. she grabbed onto his hand, intertwining their fingers. squeezing his hand gently, she leaned up and pressed her lips to his, capturing him in a soft, gentle kiss.

he instantly responded to her kiss, slowly moving his lips along with hers in the perfect synchronization. he lightly smiled against her mouth, leaning over her the slightest bit.

after a few moments he pulled away, keeping his forehead rested upon hers. "i should probably go. have some things to take care of. and you need to get your homework done."

she playfully rolled her eyes, shoving him slightly. "i'll text you later."

he nodded and kissed her forehead before climbing off her bed and walking toward her window. right before he climbed out, he turned back to her.

"what're you doing tomorrow night?" he asked her.

"nothing that i know of. why?" she raised her eyebrows at him suspiciously.

he shot her a cheeky grin, "because i'm taking you out on a date."

with that, he climbed out her window, leaving her in her thought with a huge smile sitting on her face.