31

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE

JASON GLANCED AT a jumpy haven, watching her knee bounce up and down rapidly. she was twiddling with her thumbs as she chewed on the inside of her cheek. her heart was pounding in her chest and she was sure it would burst through her chest wall at any moment.

her phone vibrated in her pocket and she pulled it out, seeing a message from derek, asking her when he could see her. she ignored it, shoving it back into her pocket.

"what am i supposed to talk about? i haven't seen him in seven years." haven mumbled, glancing at him.

"just listen to what he has to say. don't rush about him signing the papers. ease into it, okay?" jason told her, giving her a warm smile.

"i don't even know why i decided to do this. maybe it's a bad idea. is it too late for me to say no?" she rambled, earning a chuckle from him to which she returned with a glare. "i'm serious."

"it is too late because we're already here." he said, pulling into a parking lot of a local park and stopping the car. he shut off the engine and turned to her, giving her a reassuring look. "you can do this."

"i feel sick." she sighed, rubbing her forehead. "i should've said no."

"i think it would've been worse if you said no. honestly, i think it's good you said yes. you need closure." he said, glancing outside. "c'mon, let's just get it done and over with."

she hesitated before getting out of the car, slowly walking onto the sidewalk. jason followed her as they walked through the park, searching for her father which they spotted after a few minutes of walking.

haven stopped in her tracks, her eyes widening slightly as she saw him sitting at a picnic table. she moved to turn on her heel, only to jump into jason. she looked up and watched him shake his head.

she sighed, slowly turning back around and walking toward her father. she gulped as she got closer to him. it seemed like everything stopped when he finally looked up, seeing his daughter for the first time in seven years.

"dad..." she whispered, blinking back the harsh tears that were beginning to form. she swallowed the harsh lump in her throat, not breaking her stare from him.

"haven," he smiled so small it almost went unnoticeable. "it's nice to finally see you."

"you too." her voice came out so quiet she almost couldn't hear it herself. she thought she didn't want to see him, only wanting him to sign the papers. but after seeing him, she was glad she did.

"you guys get an hour. i'll be back soon to pick you up, haven." jason said, giving haven another reassuring smile before nodding at her father. he then walked away, leaving the two alone.

haven swallowed thickly, sitting down across from him and rubbing her sweaty palms against her jean clad thighs. "h–how are you?"

"i've been alright i guess. not the greatest." he said, staring into her dark brown eyes with his own. "what about you?"

"honestly, i've been really good. this is the first foster home that i feel safe and happy in. all the other ones weren't so good." she told him, looking down for a moment. "i've also been to juvy a few times."