22

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

SCOTT, STILES, HAVEN, jackson, lydia, and allison all stood in the dark cafeteria, their breathing heavy from the running they previously did. scott and stiles found allison and haven in the lobby of the school before jackson and lydia met up with them.

now they were in the cafeteria after running from the alpha. scott stood afar from the group and stiles stood by the windows, leaving the other four friends close together.

allison stared at scott, her breathing heavy. "can somebody please explain to me what's going on, because i'm freaking out here, and i would like to know why!"

no one said anything, scott and stiles avoiding the stares. "scott!" allison snapped, raising her eyebrows at him.

"somebody killed the janitor." stiles spoke up, everyone turning to him with wide eyes.

"what?!" haven and lydia asked, not believing this was real.

"yeah, the janitor's dead!"

"what's he talking about?! is this a joke?" allison shook her head, staring at scott.

"what, who killed him?" jackson asked, grabbing onto haven's wrist protectively.

"no, no, no, no! this was supposed to be over, the mountain lion killed–"

jackson cut lydia off, "no! don't you get it? there wasn't a mountain lion!"

"who was it? what does he want? what's happening?!" allison panicked, rubbing her face before turning to scott again. "scott!"

"scott! what the hell is going on?!" haven snapped, glaring at him.

"i–i don't know! i–i just, if–if we go out there, he's gonna kill us!" scott exclaimed, looking at everyone stressfully.

"us? he's gonna kill us?!" lydia freaked, tears welling in her eyes.

haven watched scott closely, seeing him holding back. he had a far away look in his eye and knew there was something else. but she didn't question him, not wanting to make matters worse.

"who? who is it?" haven asked, backing into jackson.

"it's derek. it's derek hale!" scott blurts out a lie after a while, causing both stiles and haven to look at him.

haven felt her heart drop to the pit of her stomach and she felt like she was gonna be sick. there was no way it could be derek. she couldn't even possibly think it was derek.

but him asking her to come to the school, scott telling her to stay away from derek, she couldn't know what to believe. to her, derek was always sweet and caring... charming. though that's maybe what he made her believe to get close to her.

"derek killed the janitor?!" jackson asked.

"are you sure?" haven asked.

"i saw him!" scott exclaimed, glancing at stiles for a moment.

lydia let out a shaky breath, staring at the ground in shock. "the mountain li–"