5

CHAPTER FIVE

THE LIGHT GREEN eyes that belonged to derek hale watched haven closely, studying the way she sat on the top of the picnic table by the cliffside. her scent was completely and utterly strong to him, luring him to her like a magnet.

a cocky smirk rested upon his perfectly defined features, his eyes sharing a small twinkle within them. his arms sat crossed on his chest, staring at the back of haven as she stared at the crescent moon.

his movements to walk where she sat were slow and quiet. the smirk on his face faded when she flinched when he came into her view and sat beside her. she let out a breath, her muscles relaxing slightly.

"back again?" he questioned, almost in a teasing manner, cocking an eyebrow at her. "let me guess, boy drama? friend drama?"

she glared at him from the corner of her eyes. "i don't have friends. and i don't need friends."

he pulled his lips together in a thin line, watching her face closely. she held a vacant gaze in her eyes, telling him that her mind was elsewhere.  the corners of her eyes were squinted ever so slightly and her lips held a faint frown.

letting out a brief nod, he understood that she'd rather not talk about it. but little did he know, she was dying on the inside. not being able to talk about it was killing her and she was driving herself mad.

for some reason, he gave off an aura to her that was so calming and inviting. she felt oddly safe with the stranger. she hadn't felt safe for a long time. sure, she felt a bit safe with melissa and scott, but this guy was something else.

"what's your name?" she asked, not finding it in her to look at him.

"derek. derek hale." he told her, a sudden softness to his voice. "yours?"

"haven. haven woods."

"you're not gonna give me much about you, are you?" he asked, this time her turning to look into his eyes.

her breath got caught in her throat as she stared into his sparkling light green eyes. every poisonous thought, every terrible feeling seemed to wash away from her as she stared deep into his eyes. she felt lost but felt like she found a gift.

derek stared right back at her, seeing a mixture of fear and wonder in her gaze as she never looked away. he could hear her heart race in her chest, sensing the nervousness from her.

"there's not much about me." she breathed out, coming to her senses and snapping her head away. "and why would i open up to a complete stranger?"

she felt a fire ignite within the pit of her stomach. and strangely enough, it seemed completely right to her.

a deep chuckle vibrated in his chest as his eyes landed on the view in front of them. "i don't believe that. i think there's more to you. and we don't have to be strangers."

"how do you know? you don't even know me." she stated as a matter of fact.

"because i can see right through you." he whispered.