8

CHAPTER EIGHT

DEREK HELD A stone cold expression on his face as annoyance flooded within his veins. but all the anger and annoyance he was feeling in the moment completely vanished once seeing haven sitting at the picnic table.

a feeling of peace and contentment filled him and his face softened, a small grin curling his lips. he took a seat across from her, seeing her scrolling through her phone.

"hey." she looked up at him, placing her phone on the table, a small smile slowly making its way onto her face. "you okay? you look tense."

"i'm fine. just had a long day." he told her, noticing the bruise on her eye was more faint and less noticeable. but the cut in her lip was slightly scarred. "you?"

she let out an exasperated sigh, rolling her eyes causing derek to chuckle. "that bad?" he teased, raising his eyebrows.

"first day of school at a new school. already got sucked into the popular clique i guess you can say." haven explained, leaning her cheek on her hand. "i'm just glad i'm not the only new girl."

"you think it's bad to have friends?" he asked, his eyes glancing at her slightly pouted lips for a moment.

"no it's just i never really had friends. used to being on my own, you know? it's easier to worry about yourself." she told him, turning away for a minute. "i don't know. i just like being in my own corner."

"i feel the same way. it's better to trust no one. you won't risk someone going against you." he frowned as he spoke, his eyes flickering with guilt.

"so you don't trust me?" she questioned, raising an eyebrow as a playful grin took over. "because i think if you didn't, you wouldn't be sitting her spilling your feelings."

"touché." he chuckled, shaking his head. "hey, you must trust me too."

"you're easy to be around. i never felt like that with anyone." she told him, their eyes staring directly into one another's.

"i feel honored." he slyly smirked, holding a hand to his heart, earning a chuckle from her. "no, i feel comfortable around you too."

"now i feel honored." she joked.

"so how are you liking beacon hills so far?" he questioned, tilting his head slightly.

she shrugged, "better than any other place i've been to. but it's pretty boring."

he looked down for a moment, swallowing thickly as his stomach twisted. if it were anyone else, he wouldn't care about what anyone knows. but he just didn't want her to find out about what really happens in beacon hills.

he knew how dangerous it could get. the less she knew, the better. though he couldn't help but feel guilty about keeping it from her. he couldn't risk her finding out about what he really is.

hell he had met her only two weeks ago and had already become attached. he couldn't deny how she made him feel or how he felt for her. it all made sense, from what his mother told him when he was a teenager.

"yeah, it does get boring." he lied, keeping a steady heart beat when speaking. but the rumbling in the stomach made him feel uneasy as his wolf betrayed him.

suddenly her phone buzzed, the screen lighting up with a message from scott. derek caught sight of the name and he instantly felt more on edge when knowing she knew scott.

"i'm sorry, i have to go. gotta be home for dinner." she told derek, standing up and giving him an apologetic smile. "same time tomorrow?"

derek felt slightly upset about her having to leave suddenly but shook it off. he nodded his head, a small smile curling on his face. "yeah. see you tomorrow, haven."

"you too, derek." she smiled at him and began walking away from the cliff side.

but after a few moments of derek sitting deep in thought, he stood up and went after haven. he caught up to her and she turned to look at him with a confused look on her face.

"do you need a ride?"

•••

after derek had dropped off haven, she walked into the house and saw scott waiting for her. he held a slightly annoyed expression mixed with concern as he looked at her.

"how do you know derek hale and why did he bring you home?" scott instantly shot questions at her.

she felt taken back before rolling her eyes. "i've known him for about two weeks. and he asked me yesterday to meet him so i did. what's your problem?"

"just be careful, okay? he's not exactly a good person." he told her, the conversation he and stiles had earlier still playing in his mind.

she scoffed. "and how would you know?"

"haven, please trust me on this. he's a bad person." he pleaded, holding onto her arms gently to make her see how serious he was.

the moment she flinched, he immediately drew his hands back. she looked at him skeptically, mixed emotions running through her. "trust isn't in my vocabulary, scott."

before he could say anything else, she pushed past him and stomped up the stairs. she walked into her bedroom and closed the door behind her, dropping onto her bed and staring up at the ceiling.

as of right know, derek was her only friend and the person she trusted. but the way scott tried to plead with her about him seemed suspicious. she didn't know what to think. and hell, she didn't know what she was in for now.