42

CHAPTER FORTY TWO

ACHING PAIN ERUPTED throughout derek's body, his breathing heavy as he tried to keep his focus off the pain. his muscles were burning and his head was pounding. he didn't know how much longer he could keep up with this torture.

"unfortunately derek, if you're not gonna talk i'm just gonna have to kill you. so, say hi to your sister for me." kate smirked, walking back into the room with arms crossed over her chest. "you didn't tell her about me, did you? the truth about the fire?"

derek looked down, swallowing the lump in his throat and trying to mask the guilt forming inside him. he clenched his jaw, trying to keep everything he was feeling inside. but the guilt was beginning to get too much. she was right. it was all his fault...

"or did you? did you tell anybody?" she taunted, watching derek keep his head down to avoid her menacing face. "oh sweetie, that's just a lot of guilt to keep buried. it's not all your fault, you got tricked by a pretty face."

derek swallowed hard, squeezing his eyes shut and clenching his hands into fists. his fingernails dug roughly into the palms of his hands, chasing pain that prevented him from shifting. he couldn't blow up. not yet.

"it happens. handsome, young werewolf mistakenly falls in love with a super hot girl, who comes from a family that kills werewolves. is that ironic?" derek lifted his gaze as her spoke, his eyes glossy but intense as he kept his facial expression hard and intimidating.

"is it ironic that you are inadvertently helping me track down the rest of the pack? again. or just a little bit of history repeating." kate chuckled, walking over to the electrical box and tapping her index finger on it. "history repeating."

it was silent and tense for a few moments as kate stood in thought. "it's not jackson, is it? he's got a little scratch on the back of his neck, but he's not in love with allison. not like scott."

derek gulped, sweat dripping from his forehead as he looked away, anticipating her next damaging words that he somehow knew were about haven.

"at least he's not in love with allison, like he is with haven." kate spoke in amusement, watching derek's lips twitch as he held in his anger.

she rolled her eyes, walking out of the room and leaving him alone with his dangerous thoughts. but his attention diverted onto the man that was sent in to beat him earlier. this time, he held a baseball bat.

"ready to have some more fun?" he asked, cracking his neck. "to be honest, my knuckles are kind of hurting. so, i brought some help. but i need to warn you, i used to play in college."

just as the man went to swing the bat, derek's hand quickly caught it, giving the man a dangerous smirk. "i brought a little help too."

the door swung open, drawing the man's attention and derek took the opportunity to punch him in the face before ripping the wires off his body with his free hand. he looked up and there stood scott, glancing down at the unconscious man.

"you gonna help me with this?" derek snapped, staring at scott as he waited for the teen to help.

"no." scott crossed his arms over his chest.

"what?" derek barked, giving him a dirty look.

"not until you tell me how to stop peter." scott demanded, desperate for derek's help to stop peter.

derek glared at him. "you really wanna talk about this right now?"

"he's going after allison and her family!" scott exclaimed, glaring back at him, "he's going to kill them."

"so what?"

"so tell me how to stop him." scott was growing annoyed with derek's lack of support and help.

"you can't!" derek shouted. "alright? i don't know when kate's coming back, so get me out of these right now! get me out right now!"

"promise you'll help me." scott ordered, staying put in his spot as he meant business.

"you think i'm gonna risk my life for your girlfriend? huh?! for your stupid little teenage crush that means absolutely nothing?" derek snapped, breathing heavily at the teen who was getting under his skin. "you're not in love, scott. you're sixteen years old. you're a child!"

"maybe you're right." scott admitted, but never once looking away from derek. "but what about haven? it's the same thing as allison and i."

"it's not the same as you and allison, and it never will be! it's completely different. now get me out of these!" derek growled, slightly scaring scott but not enough to make him cave in to help.

scott took a step closer, "i know something you don't. peter said he didn't know what he was doing when he killed your sister, right?"

derek watched as scott pulled a piece of paper from his pocket, unfolding it for derek to see. the same picture and symbol he had when he attacked deaton weeks ago.

"this is what brought your sister back to beacon hills, right?" scott watched him.

"where'd you get that?" derek questioned suspiciously.

"my boss told me three months ago that someone came into the clinic asking for a copy of this picture. do you wanna know who it was?" scott asked, stepping another step closer. "it was peter's nurse. they brought your sister here so peter could kill her and become the alpha. that's why you're going to help me."

when derek didn't answer, scott huffed and shook his head. "just say you'll help me and i'll help you unlock your other–"

derek broke the other chain from his wrist and jumped down onto the floor, rubbing his wrist for a few moments before looking at scott.

"fine. i'll help you."