30

CHAPTER THIRTY

HAVEN'S HEART RACED with nervousness as she was seated in the passengers seat of derek's car. her palms were sweaty and her stomach was all over the place. she hadn't been on a proper date before so she was extremely nervous.

derek could sense her nerves so he grabbed her hand, intertwining his fingers with hers. she looked over at him, a shy smile on her lips as he glanced at her.

"don't get all shy on me now," he murmured, turning back to the road with a slight smirk.

her cheeks heated up, looking down at their intertwined hands. he started rubbing her knuckles with his thumb, easing the nerves inside her. she relaxed slightly, leaning her head back against the seat.

"sorry, it's just, i've never been on a date before." she mumbled, slouching down a bit. "i'm a bit nervous."

"there's no need to be nervous," he reassured her, stealing another glance at her. "you don't have to be nervous around me."

she pulled her bottom lip between her teeth, turning to see derek driving down a dirt path before stopping the car. she raised her eyebrows and looked at derek again.

"this where you're gonna murder me?" she joked, a small smile on her face which quickly faded when she noticed the vacant glint in his eyes. "i'm sorry, i didn't mean–"

"don't worry about it," he said, getting out of the car.

she stayed put for a moment, letting out a sigh before climbing out of the car and following behind derek. she pushed her hands into the pockets of her jacket, staring at the ground as she walk.

the sky was a dark bluish purple, the aftermath of the sun going down completely. stars were beginning to shine and the moon was big and bright, but not full.

derek grabbed onto haven's hand, pulling her closer to him and snapping her out of her thoughts. she looked up at him, giving him a frown.

"i didn't mean what i said. i'm sorry if it came out that way." she told him, feeling bad about it.

"it's fine, i promise. don't overthink it, i'm not upset about it." he reassured her, planting a kiss on her temple.

they continued walking, haven leaning her head against derek's arm. after a few more minutes, they reached an open area and haven's eyes twinkled at the sight in front of her.

there was a big blanket laying in the grass with a few throw pillows and a picnic basket. there were lanterns and warm yellow lights dangling on the trees around them.

a smile took over haven's face at the sight in front of her, feeling her heart flutter at what derek planned for the two of them. derek stared down at her, a small smile taking over his face as he studied how beautiful she looked.

"never pegged you the type to be so romantic." she playfully smirked, her nose scrunching slightly as she squinted her eyes up at him.

he noticed the playful tone and smirked back, pushing her hair behind her ear. "guess i'm full of surprises."

they both sat down on the blanket, haven laying down on one of the pillows and letting out a content sigh. her eyes flickered up to the darkening sky, before turning to derek.

he stretched his legs out and leaned back on his hands. his green eyes looked at her, seeing the overwhelmed look in her eyes. she seemed trapped in her own thoughts.

"you don't have to keep anything in, haven. you can always tell me anything. i mean it when i said i'm always here for you." he told her, his voice soft. he leaned down on his elbow, moving closer to her.

"a few days before the night at the school happened, scott's mom asked if she could adopt me." she told derek, turning to lay on her side.

"is that what you want?" he asked, pushing the fallen strands of hair behind her ear.

"yeah. i mean, at first i thought it was weird and something i didn't deserve. but then, the more i thought about it, i knew i wanted it. to finally have a family." she explained, immense weight lifting from her shoulders as it felt like she opened up for the first time in a while.

"you deserve to be happy. you deserve to be with people who love and care for you." he whispered, glancing at her parted lips for a moment.

she felt warmth spread in her stomach as she stared at his glistening eyes. "i was always known as the foster girl, but with you, i see myself more than just that. i found myself being happy. i feel like i finally belong somewhere when i'm with you."

derek felt his own heart flutter and for the first time in a very long time, he was in a state of bliss. a sense of security and content.

"because you are more than just the foster girl. you're more than extraordinary. you're selfless, caring and everyone needs that." he told her, leaning his face closer to hers.

her heart rate picked up as she could feel his warmth radiating intensely from his body. his lips connected with hers, kissing her tenderly as he caressed her cheek in his warm hand.

she pulled him closer by his leather jacket, her hand snaking to the back of his neck where her fingertips curled into his soft hair. she felt derek place one of his hands on her waist, squeezing gently as he trailed kissed along her cheek and jawline.

he reached her neck and began littering kisses along her skin. he smirked against her as a soft gasp left her mouth as he instantly found her sensitive spot. he nipped gently in that area, pressing his body up against hers.

"be my girlfriend." he muttered after moving back to her lips, resting his forehead on hers.

"what?" she spoke quietly, unsure of what she heard was correct.

"i want you to be mine, haven. i want us to be official. what i feel for you, is something i've never felt before. but i'm more than sure about you. i want you to be my girlfriend." he whispered, feeling somewhat scared of her answer.

it was true though. he had never felt this strongly for someone. it terrified him greatly but he knew he wanted her. he needed her. she made him feel alive. she was his light in a dark world.

"i would be stupid to say no," she smiled lovingly up at him, her eyes shining with heart warming tears.

he felt his wolf growl happily inside and he smiled widely, his eyes twinkling as he stared down at her. he felt the bond between them grow stronger and it made him feel overwhelmed but move alive. she was finally his. and he was finally hers.

"you're everything to me, haven."