26

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX

THE GOLDEN RAYS of the sunlight created a hazel pool in haven's eyes. she sat on top of the picnic table by the cliff side, leaning back on her hands as she titled her back and basking in the setting sun.

her eyes were shut, thinking of everything that's happened. she was too much in her head to notice the sounding crunch noise of pebbles being stepped on from behind her. derek took a seat beside her, staring at her with a vacant gaze.

she brought her head forward and opened her eyes, seeing derek sitting next to her. fear was quick to pulse through her and she quickly looked around for any signs of anyone.

derek could smell the fear radiating from her, bringing him to glare at her. he never wanted her to fear him. but thanks to scott for the massive lie, haven thought he was some crazed murderer.

her eyes were wide and her lips were parted as she stared at him with shock painted on her soft features. the palms of her hands grew sweaty as her stomach twisted nervously.

"w–what are you doing here?" she stuttered, swallowing harshly as she tried to compose herself.

"i knew you would be here. and i needed to talk to you." he said blankly, no emotion in his tone whatsoever. "whatever scott told you isn't true."

she scoffed, rolling her eyes. "i trusted you more than i ever trusted anyone else! i trusted you to quicker than i have with anyone here and all of this happens. and somehow, you seem to be the common denominator."

"haven, let me explain!" he pleased, grabbing onto her wrists but she flinched, backing away from him.

hurt settled onto his features at her reaction, wanting nothing more than to make her know the truth. he stared at her, a strong urge of wanting to hold her against him forming inside. but she was afraid of him. and he couldn't change that. not now. not after the other night at the school.

"what's there to explain? you sent me a text, asking me to meet you at the school, then you try to kill not only me, but my friends and brother as well!" she snapped, crossing her arms over her chest as she looked around her surroundings again.

he pulled his eyebrows together, staring at her confused. "what text are you talking about? i never sent you a text telling you to meet me at the school. i wasn't even there that night."

"you sure this wasn't you?" she questioned harshly, pulling out her phone and showing him the message.

he read the message, his features instantly hardening and his eyes turning dark. "i never sent that. and i promise you, i was never at the school that night. i'm never going to hurt you. i would never."

she studied his face, searching for any signs of lying. but the slight wrinkle in his forehead from the knitted eyebrows, the twinkling eyes staring back at her, and the frown resting on his lips told her the truth.

"then why would scott say it was you?" she asked him, feeling herself slowly relax.

he let out a heavy sigh, running his fingers through his jet black hair. "i'll show you. but i can't do it here."

she gave him a weird look, watching him jump to his feet and stick his hand out for her. she glanced at it before reluctantly grabbing it, feeling butterflies erupt in the pit of her stomach.

it was a short ten minute walk to the hale house and she gulped, trying to imagine what he was going to show her. she didn't know what to expect.

derek was completely nervous to say the least. he couldn't hide this from her anymore. he couldn't keep lying and trying to protect her from it. she would find out eventually, one way or another. he needed her to know. he needed to be the one to tell her.

"do you believe in werewolves?" he asked, letting go of her hand. she whimpered at the sudden coldness she felt after he let go of her hand but she hid it.

"werewolves?" she repeated, raising her eyebrows as he nodded. "uh, no. how does one even believe in werewolves anyway? they're just myths."

he sighed, turning his body around to face her. "what if i told you they're not just myths?"

"i wouldn't believe you." she told him, squinting her eyes at him slightly. "derek, be real. what's the real reason why scott would put the entire blame on you?"

he said nothing, only staring at her with an intense look that made her knees weak. he suddenly walked over to her, grabbing her hand within his and looking deep into her brown eyes.

"i need you to promise me you won't think of me any differently. that you won't see me as some monster. only as the person you met by the cliff side a few months ago." he mumbled in a husky voice, sensing chills down her spine.

"derek why–"

she stopped as he backed away from her, his light green eyes shifting to an electric blue. his incisors grew into sharp fangs, hair covering his jawline from his sideburns and his nose scrunching together as well as the crease between his eyebrows. his ears grew pointy and his nails grew into dark claws.

haven's eyes widened, staring at this whole new side of derek. most people would be afraid to find out werewolves exist. hell, haven expected herself to be afraid. but she stared at derek, curiosity in her eyes.

derek would've expected her to fear him more. to his surprise, she closed the space between them, placing her hand on his cheek.

his inner wolf growled in content as the gesture, causing him to lean into her touch. she stared into his glowing blue eyes, him seeing nothing but care and love within her irises.

he transformed back into his human side, one of his hands cupping one side on her face and the other moving to her lower back. he pulled her against him, dropping his forehead on hers.

"i promise i'm never going to hurt you. i care about you so much, haven. i do." he whispered, closing his eyes as her arms wrapped around the back of his neck.

"it's going to take some time for me to adjust to all of this." she told him, her breath getting caught in her throat as his warm, soft lips brushed up against her own.

"i have all the time in the world for you."