36

CHAPTER THIRTY SIX

THE COOL AUTUMN night breeze was harsh against haven's skin, causing her to shiver a bit. she was seated on the bench beside scott, who was trying to get a hold of stiles and derek.

the bleachers were filling with people who were ready to watch the lacrosse game. stiles was supposed to be playing his first game tonight and yet he wasn't here like he said he was going to be.

"anything?" haven asked scott, giving him a worried look.

"no." scott shook his head. "try calling derek."

"you can. i don't want to talk to him right now." she mumbled, crossing her arms over her chest as she thought about the argument the two of them had earlier.

"it's not a big deal!" haven snapped, rolling as her eyes as she went to walk out of the hale house.

"not a big deal?! really? jackson asked you out and you said yes!" derek shouted, glaring at the back of her as his hands balled into fists.

she stopped in her tracks, whipping her body around and returning the glare. "first of all, he didn't asked me to be his girlfriend. he asked me to the winter formal as friends."

"it's the same thing as asking you out! and let's not pretend he only sees you as a friend. it's clear he has feelings for you." he scoffed, staring intensely as her and growing more frustrated as she continued back firing at his own responses.

"so what if he does?" she questioned, crossing her arms over her chest. "it doesn't matter because i'm with you!"

he said nothing, only staring back at her. not knowing what to say, she smirked as it dawned on her as the penny finally dropped when she noticed the look hidden in his eyes. she stepped closer, tilting her head as she studied him.

"you're not... jealous are you?" she asked, cocking an eyebrow as she stood close to him, their chests pressing against each other's.

"what? no." he answered quickly and sharply, looking away from her.

but the crimson redness on his ears and the blush rising to his cheeks told her otherwise. his wolf melted like putty and the rumbling in his stomach from his wolf betrayed him as she wrapped her arms sting the back of his neck.

"there's no need to be jealous," she whispered, making him look at her.

"i'm not jealous." he growled, taking her hands off of him and walking away from her. "i just don't want you going with jackson."

"well i already told him yes so i can't just reject him." she sighed in annoyance.

he leaned against the wall, shoving his hands in his pockets. "yeah you can actually."

"i'm not doing this with you. call me when you get your head out of your ass."

"what happened?" scott asked haven.

"i guess he got jealous because i'm going to the winter formal with jackson." she explained, letting out a huff.

"wait... jackson asked you to the winter formal?"

she nodded. "yeah. i mean, we're going as friends. so i don't know what the problem is."

before scott could answer her, his phone began ringing and stiles's name flashed across the screen. he quickly answered, holding the phone to his ear. haven watched him carefully.

"did you get it?" scott asked, chewing on his fingernail nervously.

"yeah i did. and it looks just like the drawing." stiles told him over the phone, glancing at derek who was in the passengers seat.

derek huffed, grabbing tightly onto stiles's wrist and yanking his hand toward him to he could talk to scott. "hey, is there something on the back of it? there's gotta be something. an inscription, an opening, something."

"no, no, the things flat." scott answered. "and no, it doesn't open. there's nothing in it, on it, around it, nothing."

haven turned and saw noah stilinski walking toward the bleachers while searching for stiles. she judged scott, nodding her head to noah which made scott look in the direction.

"and where are you? you're supposed to be here, you're first line. man, you're not gonna play if you're not here to start." scott told stiles, looking away from stiles's dad.

"i know, look, if you see my dad can you tell him–tell him i'll be there. i'll just be a little bit late, okay?" stiles almost pleaded, ignoring the stare on derek's face.

stiles hung up the phone, staring straight ahead as derek spoke up. "you're not gonna make it."

"i know." stiles sighed.

"and you didn't tell him about his mom either." derek told him.

earlier today, derek was at stiles's house as they tried to trace the text messages that were sent to both allison and haven. but they got nowhere, so stiles invited danny over as he knew how to trace a text.

after danny was able to trace the text, the name that appeared shocked both stiles and derek. it told them the account name it was registered to was melissa mccall.

"not until we find out the truth." stiles said.

they sat in a few moments of silence before derek opened his mouth again. "by the way one more thing."

"huh?"

derek grabbed the back of stiles's head, slamming his forehead down onto the steering wheel. stiles winced, pushing derek's hand off of him.

"oh my god what the hell was–"

"you know what that was for!" derek snapped. "go. go!"

stiles huffed, getting out of the car and walked to the front doors of the hospital as he held onto his forehead. derek watched him with a glare on his face before hearing his phone go off.  he pulled it from his pocket, seeing a message from haven.

'come over later tonight? need to talk to you.'

after sending her a quick reply, stiles's caller ID appeared on the screen and he answered it. stiles went on, explaining how derek's uncle, peter, was nowhere to be found and neither was his nurse.

derek was confused for a few moments before it finally dawned on him and his eyes widened. now everything started to make sense.

"stiles! it's him, he's the alpha! get out of there right now!"