23

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

THE GROUP OF teens ran inside another class room, slamming the door shut behind them. haven slide down the wall, panting heavily as a line of sweat formed on her forehead.

everyone froze and stood still as a dark shadow passed the classroom, hearing a heavy breath before it disappeared. they all let out a sigh of relief and scott backed away from the door, turning to jackson.

"jackson," he whispered. "how many people can fit in your car?"

"five if someone squeezes on someone's lap." jackson whispered back, looking at him.

"five?!" haven stared at him. "allison and i barely fit in the back!"

stiles sighed, shaking his head. "it doesn't matter. there's no getting out without drawing attention."

scott looked around before his eyes landed on the steel door in the corner of the room. "what about this?" he went over to it. "this leads to the roof. we can go down the fire escape to the parking lot in, like, seconds."

"that's a deadbolt." stiles pointed out, glancing at the lock on the door.

"the janitor has a key." scott reminded him.

stiles gave him a look. "you mean his body has it."

scott stared at the ground for a moment, deep in thought before bringing his eyes back up to look at stiles. "i can get it. i can find him by scent, by blood!"

"well, gee, that sounds like an incredibly terrible idea." stiles told him, rolling his eyes. "what else you got?"

scott ignored him, turning to face the others standing up against the wall. "i'm getting the key."

"are you serious?" allison asked in disbelief.

"you can't go out there!" haven told him, shaking her head.

"well its the best plan. someone has to get the key if we wanna get out of here!" scott told them, staring at haven for a longing moment.

"no! there has to be something else." haven argued, glaring at him.

"look, we have to get out of here somehow."

allison stepped forward, looking at him. "you can't go out there unarmed."

"there's gotta be something else." stiles cut in, looking at scott as he grabbed something from the teacher's desk as a weapon.

lydia stared at the glass cabinet in one of the corners in the room, an idea coming to her mind. "there is."

everyone looked to see what she was staring at. stiles stared at her dumbfounded, "what are we gonna do? throw acid on him?"

"no." the strawberry blonde girl shook her head, a devious smirk pooling onto her features. "like a fire bomb. in there is everything you need to make a self - igniting molotov cocktail."

"self - igniting..."

lydia grew annoyed as he couldn't pronounce the second part. "molotov cocktail."

the rest of the group stared at her completely surprised at her hidden knowledge behind chemistry. she noticed everyone looking at her and acted innocent. "what? i read it somewhere."

stiles huffed, pointing at the door. "well we don't have a key for that either-"

jackson smashed his elbow into the glass, shattering it. stiles and scott exchanged looks as lydia began grabbing the chemicals needed to create the molotov cocktail.

•••

"scott, you can't do this!" haven tried convincing him not to go. "you'll get killed!"

"she's right. this is insane, you can't do this." allison pleaded, staring at scott with glossy eyes.

he avoided their stares. "we can't just sit here, waiting for stiles's dad to check his messages."

allison let out an angry sigh, shaking her head. "you could die! don't you get that? he's killed three people."

haven watched him walk closer to the classroom door. he looked at everyone before lingering his eyes on allison. "and we're next. somebody has to do something."

"stop! just stop!" she snapped, causing him to freeze in his tracks and turn back to her. "do you remember - do you remember when you told me you knew whether or not i was lying? that i had a tell? well, so do you."

he stared at her in surprise as she continued. "you're a horrible liar. and you've been lying all night. just - just please - please don't go. please don't leave us. please." she begged, fear and anger mixed in her eyes as she hope he wouldn't leave.

scott gulped, grabbing the molotov cocktail lydia has finished creating. he looked away from allison and placed his hand on the doorknob. "lock it behind me."

"scott!" haven yelled but jackson grabbed her, the others locking the door once he has left the room.

she breathed heavily as her vision became blurry and dizziness washed over her. her throat became dry and her ears started ringing, the faint whispered concerns of the others taking notice how ill she looked echoing in her head.

her body began tingling and her knees buckled from under her as she soon lost consciousness. jackson caught her before she hit the ground, holding her in his arms.

"haven!"