46

CHAPTER FORTY SIX

MELISSA WAS SEATED across from noah stilinski in the kitchen. haven, scott, and stiles were all at school so this was the perfect time for melissa to have a talk with him about haven and the abandonment papers.

it was hard for her, considering she treated stiles like her own son after he lost his mother at a young age and since he and scott were best friends. she didn't know what noah was going to do. all she wanted was to adopt haven. and it's not like she would forbid him from having a relationship with her if he wanted to. it just all has to be okay with haven.

"i know why you asked to speak with me." noah started, looking at melissa with his light blue eyes. "look, i had no idea haven even existed. her mother never told me."

"i just want to know if you are going to sign the abandonment papers. that's all i want and that's all haven wants." melissa told him, crossing her arms over her chest as she leaned back in her seat.

"i can't sign the papers." he said, giving her a guilty look. "i just can't sign them."

"if you want to have some kind of bond or relationship with her, you can. i'm not going to forbid it, as long as she wants to." she said, looking down for a moment.

"it's not that. i–i want to be her parent. i don't want to be the person who has some relationship with her because you allow it." he told her, leaning forward onto the table slightly. "i want to be her parent. and i have that right."

"you don't! you don't have the right because she doesn't know you and doesn't want to get to know you." melissa snapped, growing protective of haven.

just then, the front door bursted open and the loud voices of scott and stiles echoed as their heavy footsteps came closer to the kitchen. they both walked into the kitchen before stopping, looking at melissa and noah in confusion.

"what's going on?" stiles asked suspiciously, glancing between his dad and melissa.

"nothing bud, just having a talk with melissa." noah reassured him while scott narrowed his eyes at his mom, knowing what this was about.

"where's haven?" melissa asked, looking directly at scott.

"home. said she had a headache and wanted to sleep." he told her, knowing very well derek was with haven.

"well we're gonna go get started on homework." stiles said, still seeming suspicious of his dad and melissa before grabbing a bag of chips and rushing upstairs. scott quickly followed after him.

once the two parents who the door upstairs slam shut, noah turned back to melissa."i didn't know about her because her mother never told me! she never told me i got her pregnant before she moved across the county."

"all haven wants from you is your signature on a piece of paper. she does not want you in her life and she made that very clear to me last night." melissa told him, her voice stern and serious.

noah stared at her, letting out an angry chuckle and licking his lips. "then i will fight you for custody. i mean, after all, she is my daughter and legally, i have the right to sue for custody."