6

CHAPTER SIX

HAVEN LAID AWAKE in the middle of the night, her mind completely and utterly focused on derek. she didn't know what it was about him that lured her to him like a magnet. he had this calming and peaceful aura to him that she didn't know how to explain. it was foreign for her to be feeling this way.

she'd be lying if she said she wasn't looking forward to seeing him again. it was slightly frustrating to her that she felt this way but she couldn't help it. to her, it did feel nice to finally have someone to talk to and not be given any pity or looked at as a fragile girl.

not only did he understand her the moment they first met, she also understood him. they were practically the same. they both knew what it was like to lose people and to be looked at a certain way–like they were dark, beaten down people. but with each other, they felt like they belonged even in the short period of time knowing one another.

derek laid awake in bed as well, staring at the wall. just like he was on haven's mind, she was on his. ever since he had met her, that was all he could think about.

he didn't know what it was about her that left her lingering on his dark mind. it was like for the first time, he knew what it was like to finally see the light in a darkness. he felt alive.

he felt an unexpected need to protect her, to keep her safe from anything. his stomach rumbled as his wolf growled at him, pushing him to rush things. but he overpowered, knowing rushing would make things worse. for both of them.

to say he was a bit excited about seeing her tomorrow would be an understatement. he was slightly embarrassed for seeming desperate to hang out with her when he had asked. she was the first person to understand him without having to tell her anything. and that was something he needed.

letting out a sigh, derek rolled onto his back, resting his hands on his abdomen and stared up at the ceiling above him.

soon, he thought. soon enough and everything will be okay.

•••

scott and haven walked down the stairs, being greeted by melissa who was in the living room waiting for the two teens.

"first day of school! you guys ready?" melissa asked, clear excitement laced in her voice.

haven and scott exchanged annoyed glances, both of them shaking their heads. before haven could follow scott into the kitchen to get some breakfast, melissa stopped her.

haven watched at she handed her a black phone. she gave her a curious and cautious look, not knowing whether to accept what she was being given.

melissa's eyes stared at her warmly, waiting for the teen to take it. "you're going to need a phone in case i need to get in touch with you or you need something. you can text and call, but for now, no internet."

haven stared at the device for a moment, reluctantly taking it from melissa's hand. "thank you."

"go eat some breakfast before i bring you and scott to school." haven nodded and walked into the kitchen, fixing herself a bowl of cereal.

scott glanced at her, "you nervous?"

"no." she shook her head. "only a little bit. i'm used to being the new girl."

"stiles and i will stay with you the whole day. you might have to stay after since we have practice after school." scott told her.

she pulled her eyebrows together, "practice? you play football?"

"no. lacrosse. both stiles and i play." he chuckled at the look she had on her face. "well, i shouldn't say play. we're mainly on the bench."

"how come? wait, let me guess, you guys both suck? or bad grades?" she teased, sitting across from him at the table as she began munching on her cereal.

"hey." scott frowned, shaking his head. "i wouldn't say we're bad at it but we're not the greatest."

"well i guess that's something." she said, a small grin coming onto her face.

"kids! c'mon, you're gonna be late!" melissa called from the living room.

giving haven a reassuring smile, scott stood up from his seat. "you ready?"

"always."