part 28

@feelixlee

"I hope it doesn't rain," Jacqueline sighed, leaning her head against the window of the car.
Chan reached his hand to hold hers from their spot on the steering wheel.
"Woah, woah. Calm down guys, you're not alone." i said sarcastically. For once i was sitting in the backseat of Chans car while my sister sat in the front. You could say i was a little salty.
"Jesus Felix." Jacqueline complained. I couldn't see but i knew she was rolling her eyes.
"Regret bringing me now?" i asked. "I don't know any couple that'd go out of their way to invite a third wheel."
"No regrets. Because you won't be third wheeling very soon. I'm picking up Changbin as well." Chan explained, turning into a neighborhood i'd never seen before.
"Oh." i paused. "oh" i relaxed into the thought. This wouldn't be bad. Changbin and I are friends.

We soon pulled into the driveway of a small two story house. After a few seconds, Changbin  hurried out the door. It looked like he slammed the door the way the windows shook but i couldn't be sure since i didn't hear it slam. He looked mad.
Chan lifted his head and waved at Changbin through the window and he smiled. I sighed, relieved.
Changbins smile widened as he spotted me in the car as well. I guess he didn't know i was coming either. His reaction to my presence sent a wave of electricity through my body and i returned his grin.
"Hey boys," He greeted. "Jacqueline" He pretended to tip his imaginary hat. She smiled back at him. "So where are we headed?"
"Don't kill me." Chan started, glancing back at Changbin. "we're going to a carnival."
Changbins face dropped for a second. I was shocked.
"Do you not like carnivals?" i asked with wide eyes.
"No, no, I just-"
"He's afraid of heights." Chan butted in.
Jacqueline laughed.
Changbin covered his face with his beanie in embarrassment.
"Don't worry, there's plenty of rides without the thrill of heights that we can go on." i offered, ignoring the fact that i just referred to us as "we".
Changbin brought the fabric down slightly so that only his eyes would show. His eyebrows furrowed almost like a pleading puppy. "Really?"
"Yes really," I laughed lightly.
I watched Chan and Jacqueline exchange a glance and sly smiles and i felt my face turn red.

When we arrived at the fairgrounds i could finally see Changbin in full. He sported a burgundy beanie, black shirt, and dark wash jeans. He had a dainty chain and simple studs. The outfit looked so perfect, so Changbin-like.
"Are you cold?" he asked suddenly, pulling me out of my thoughts. It was slightly breezy but i was just fine. "Here, take my beanie."
"No, no, Im good." i replied as he pulled it off.
"No seriously, take it." he attempted to place it on my head but i ducked quickly, laughing.
"I'm good, thanks."
"Are you sure? you look a bit, cold!" he almost yelled, finally pulling the beanie over my eyes.
The world went dark for a second until he quickly pulled the hat up enough so i could see. We locked eyes.
"C'mon guys! The line is going to get long!" Jacqueline called from a few feet away.
Changbin shrugged and we started walking towards the ticket booth. I pulled his beanie over the tips of my ears. It smelled just like him. Sweet and tangy. Sweet like honey and tangy like citrus. It seemed to sum up his personality perfectly.

"So, where to first?" i asked, searching the fairgrounds.
"I'm thinking, maybe ferris wheel?" Chan questioned, looking straight at Jacqueline.
I glanced at Changbin. He forced a smile, "that's a great idea, Chan. Why don't you take Jacqueline while me and Felix find something else to do?"
Chan laughed, punching Changbins shoulder lightly, "You're so funny,"
Changbin cocked his head to the side.
"You're coming with us, of course!"
Chan began to walk in the direction of the ferris wheel followed by Jacqueline and I.
"Coming?" I looked back at a stubborn Changbin.
"Do i have to ride?"
"Yes." i replied. "But it'll be all four of us. If we die, we die together?" I held out my hand.
"Very comforting," he answered flatly. But he still grabbed my hand as i led him to where Chan and Jacqueline had stopped.

We stood in line for a couple minutes. Chan and Changbin were having a deep conversation on the best carnival food while Jacqueline leaned against Chan, just listening.
We made our way up the line until the operator called us up. As we stepped on the platform he yelled, "two to a car only."
My eyes widen with nervousness as i glanced at Chan who had already made his way into the cart with Jacqueline.
"You lied! You said it was going to be us four." Changbin pouted as the next cart pulled up.
The operater called us up and i almost dragged Changbin to the cart.
The operator slammed the door hard, shaking the seemingly unstable cart.
Changbin wobbled as he fumbled to the seat across from me.
"God dammit," he cursed. "There's gum on the seat."
My heart raced and i couldn't process what i said next, "here just sit next to me, it's a little tight but i'm sure it's better than sitting in gum."
Changbin quickly plopped down next to me without complaint. Maybe he wanted to sit next to me or maybe he was scared as the ride already started it's rotation, either way, it comforted me.
I felt his body tense as we went higher. He peeked over the edge.
"That's really high."
"Look at the city." i pointed toward the large buildings in the distance, hoping to distract him.
Changbin seemed to relax as he turned his attention from how high we were to the scenery around us.
As we reached the top he seemed to bring his guard fully down and relax into my side.

And then the ride halted, and all the tension came back. Changbin, without thinking (i hope), grabbed onto my arm as the abrupt stop caused the carts to shake At first i was shocked and wanted to pull away but i could tell he was nervous.
Changbin shifted lightly, probably hoping not to move the cart any more than it already was.
"Are we stuck?" he finally managed to say.
"yeah," i replied nonchalantly. The grip on my arm loosened.
"Aren't you nervous?" he asked.
"Things like this happen, they'll probably fix it in a couple minutes."
Changbin let out a simple "oh" and we settled into silence.
I tried to think of something to say to ease the odd break of conversation but my train of thought was stopped short when Changbin leaned his head against the crook of my neck.
"i'm tired," he said, closing his eyes. "I feel like i haven't slept in weeks."
He looked so peaceful with his eyes shut. i didn't know what to say so i just put my arm around him, hoping to comfort him in whatever way he needed. I couldn't help but attempt to ease my curiosity by asking, "why not?"
I wasn't expecting a response, let alone one that would include anything personal so i was shocked at his reply.
"Shitty Dad, always coming home drunk."
Changbins eyes remained closed but i could tell he was waiting for a response.
"I'm not trying to guilt trip you." he admitted after a moment of silence. "I'm attempting to open up."
He lifted his head off my shoulder and looked me in the eyes. I swear he was looking right through my mind and into the one thought i've been keeping locked away. I wasn't thinking. Perhaps the ferris wheel was fixed or the world around me was blurring as i leaned in and kissed him. I began to regret it the moment i felt our lips touch but then, almost as if i was dreaming, he kissed me back. This couldn't be fake. As i leaned back in regret, he placed his hand on my cheek and pulled me closer.
The feeling of his kiss brought me back to the night that started everything. That stupid party. But i found myself remembering it fondly because ever since then i've felt like i'd actually been living. And it was all thanks to Changbin.

Neither of us said a word as his hand found mine. We leaned into eachother, watching the world below us move quickly as we spent this time slowly drinking in each other's presence.

"So," i said. "Tell me about your family."

A/N
the longest chapter i've written for this fic, 1550 words!!! but 🤮🤮🤮 i hate writing fluff!! it's so awkward but for you guys it's worth it.

Q/A: Do you guys write stories?? if so, feel free to shamelessly promote your stories in the comments.

^^please, i need something new to read