1. New York

I opened my eyes slowly and turned to look at the time. The bright dial of the digital alarm showed 3:33 am. I released a groan as soon as my senses start to awaken. I don't want to face reality. It's cruel and dangerous. I want to go to another world of fantasy which I know I can only capture during my beauty sleep.

SMACK!!!

A loud crash from the downstairs pierced the air, making me jump. The sound of footsteps echoed up the stairs to my bedroom. Heart rising, I looked around for a hiding spot. There wasn't much space in the closet, but it would be better than staying in plain sight. Someone pounded up the stairs, just as I was almost completely inside the closet.

A warm hand wrapped around my ankle, yanking me out from the closet.When I got turned around by force, a masked face greeted me. Though it was impossible to see his distinct features, his cat-green eyes made me shiver. Struggling to get free from his grip, I kicked at the man. I ran away as soon as his grip loosened and he started to chase me.

I was able to get pretty far while he was chasing me, but all of a sudden, I began to run slower, like I was running on the sand until I was barely running at all. Then he turned the corner and came right up to me with a knife in his hand. He stabbed me in the stomach and then pulled it out before stabbing me again in the shoulder and dragged it up from my shoulder across my throat and the blood oozed out from my eyes, ears, stomach, and throat.

I gasped and opened my eyes, jerking my body backward. I heard a distinct crash of shattering, but all I could focus on was myself choking and gagging as I touched my neck and stomach. It felt so real. Every bone the knife crossed, I felt it cracked. I felt the knife dragging through my throat. A sob escaped my lips. These nightmares have been haunting me since that incident. I covered my head in my hands and tried to control my shaking body. Sometimes these nightmares are good which makes me want to sleep forever, replaying those scenes again and again. But sometimes, it's worse.

Slowly, I could feel myself relaxing as I took in the surroundings. I'm safe. No one can find me here. Not when I am far away from Worcester. I was in a small café in New York called 'Petit Monde'. The Interior of this place is warm and cheery, contrary to the crowded city outside with skyscrapers and never-ending traffic.

I looked around the café to see all pairs of eyes focused on me which confused me. But it soon dawned on me when I saw a broken glass near me. I must have pushed it off when I woke up from my nap. My cheeks tinted red and I apologized.

Feeling a tap on my shoulder, I looked up to see a woman in her early 40′s. She is gorgeous with blonde hair tied up in a tight bun, flawless skin, and most beautiful light blue eyes which reminds me of an ocean.

"Honey are you alright?" she asked softly. I flinched slightly at her words. It's been months since someone has called me like that, with so much care and love.

"Y-Yes, I'm al-alright" I answered stuttering at my words. The lady took a seat next to mine.

"Bad dream huh?" she asked.

"Yeah," I said shyly, tucking my loose brown hair behind my ear.

"Grecia Watson" she introduced.

"Karolia Kingston," I said, shaking my hand with her. A lump formed in my throat at the mention of my last name but I swallowed it down.

"Beautiful name. Your face doesn't look familiar. Are you new to this café?" she asked curiously.

"Yes. In fact, I'm new to New York" I debated whether I should say my hometown, but decided against it. To avoid her questioning about my place, I quickly changed the topic.