25. Transpire

A/N: A lot to take in in this chapter about Logan's past. So read leisurely!

"When I grew up everyone told I'm an exact copy of my father in looks as well as size. My memories with him are very vague. But I still remember his proud smile that one time when I came home with a trophy I won in a school game" a soft smile played on his lips which made me smile as well.

We were sitting on a white bench out on the patio which was decorated with different varieties of plants. The rain has stopped an hour back, but still, the sky looks grey and dull, just like our mood. Logan played with his coffee cup as he recollected his memories.

"Father started Watson Enterprise but it wasn't as big as it is today. When Dad died in an accident when I was ten, we had to hand over the company to Gregory, mom's brother, who was already running a manufacturing company. But seeing my mom's helpless state and how vulnerable she became after dad's death, he agreed to look after the company for a while"

"But a lot of problems started to arise after that. So many people came up claiming to be lenders for my father and started demanding their money back. It was hard to take in that dad had debts as when he was alive he never mentioned anything about it"

"Mom felt helpless as she didn't know what to do back then. Somehow she convinced all of them that she would pay all their money back within two years" Aroma of different scented flowers filled the place as light evening breeze plays around us. My entire attention was on Logan as he kept on talking.

"I still remember that day when Gregory visited us saying that he had something important to talk with mom regarding dad's death."

"That day mom cried herself to sleep. She didn't tend to me that day. She locked herself in her room for two whole days. I couldn't understand what was happening but I knew it was something bad. I have never seen her like that ever before. I remember asking her regarding it but she shut me off by telling me to never ponder about that" He swallowed hard before taking a sip from the coffee that he was holding. His gaze was set on the table in front of us and he never looked away.

"I saw a new mother ever since that day. She changed completely. She never laughed the same way and she always engaged herself in something or the other. Took less care of herself. The little boy in me always wanted to see my old mother. The one who always laughed and looked carefree." There was a sadness that reflected his eyes that was hard to not notice. I contemplated whether or not to hold his hand but finally decided against it. I didn't want to interrupt his thoughts and flow.

"She started taking up all sorts of jobs to provide for me and my education. When it came to a situation where she couldn't look after me most of the time, that's when mom asked Charles to look after me. I started getting close with Charles more and he was always there whenever I missed dad"

"With the help of the loan, we started to clear all the debts and by the end of two years, mom was able to pay back more than half of the money that dad had borrowed. She also took over the Watson Enterprise that year"

"Everything looked smooth from then but I noticed how mom grew distant and silent. Due to the work pressure, she always shut herself off from others. It wasn't late until we figured that she was going through depression. I guess what affected me the most wasn't dad's death. But mom's condition made everything worse for me" My heart ached for him and I tentatively interlocked my fingers with his. He squeezed my hand before continuing.

"It affected my academics as well as my mind. I started getting into a lot of fights. When I turned 15, a senior with whom I frequently fought at school introduced me to the world of underground fighting. The delinquent teenager in me was attracted to the benefits of it" he chuckled humorlessly, his fingers tightening around mine, but not enough to hurt me.