12. Throbbing heart

I take a sip from the steaming hot coffee and turn the page of the novel that I'm reading. The book isn't that one which piques my interest much and 'I won't leave this room until I complete the book' type. It's more like 'I got nothing else to do, so let's give it a try' type.

The sound of the evening wind could be heard through the open window in my room and it made me dig deeper into the couch that I was sitting in.

The past two days went smoothly that I didn't even realize a week had passed since Grecia left. Honestly, it wasn't that bad living with Logan apart from some occasional mood changes from him. But we didn't bite each other's head off frequently as I thought would happen. We barely see each other in the house unless we have dinner together. Logan seems comfortable with my cooking from day one, so I always cook for both of us. Most of the time Logan would come home late at night, but other times we would eat together in the dining room in comfortable silence.

A day before I asked him about who was behind us after our game night at Patrick's but he dismissed me by telling me not to worry about it anymore as he handled the situation. I kept on nagging him to give more details and finally, he gave in and said it was just someone who had a grudge against him. I decided not to annoy him anymore as he didn't look pleased by the subject. I wanted to ask him a lot of questions regarding that but decided to keep my mouth shut, for my sake.

A knock interrupted me from my thoughts. I closed the book and got up from the bed and walked towards the door. I opened it to see Logan with a phone in his hand.

"Mom is on line. She wants to talk to you" he said and handed me the phone before walking away.

"Hi Grecia, how're you?" I greeted her, walking towards my bed.

"Hello, sweetheart. I'm doing well. How are you?" she asked. Oh god, I missed her voice.

"Good. How is your sister doing?"

"She's great. It's been so long since the last time I came here so things are a tad bit different. I hope I can come back soon cause I have never been away from home this long but it seems like it will take some time. As I told you, my sister is undergoing medical treatment and I had to be here for her."

"Yeah, I do remember. Your absence is affecting the house though, especially Logan," I said as a matter of fact.

"It's affecting me too, darling. Speaking of Logan, I just talked with him but did he cause any difficulties to you?" she asked.

"Not till now." I chuckled

"Mm, if he's causing any trouble then just give me a call. I'll knock some sense into that thick head."

"That's alright. I learned to handle him now" I said making her laugh. Just don't talk to him when he's angry, which is most of the time by the way, and keep my sarcasm to myself.

"You know Karolia, I'm shocked that you're still staying. Even though I feel like I forced you to stay there, I guarantee you if it was someone else in your position I'm sure they would have gone running to the hills. He is a hard one to handle, but I can see that you are doing a good job. I feel like only you can make him stand on his feet properly." She said, hinting something which I didn't quite understand.

"I don't think that's true. He's like a ticking bomb, ready to explode any time." I said honestly which made Grecia laugh hard.

"I get it, sweetheart, forgive this old lady for putting you in such a situation." she bantered which made me snicker.

"But Karolia, promise me that you won't leave the house without my knowledge until you find a safe place." She said. My heart melted at her words. She cares a lot about me.