56. Secret's Out

"Tell you?" He chuckled darkly, sending a shiver down my spine.

"You tell me what's going on, Karolia Kingston,?" My heartbeat slowly started to accelerate when I heard him call me by my full name. This is not good.

"What do you mean?" He laughed humorlessly

"Oh Lia," he chuckled darkly, running his hand through his hair "Stop with this innocent act."

I stood up from the bed and crossed my arms over my chest. "No, you stop beating around the bush," I said, getting angry as well.

"Is there something you want to tell me?" He asked, stepping closer to me.

"Uhm...N-No," I gulped slowly as I answered.

"You stuttered" I racked my brain trying to think of some excuse.

"That's because your proximity is affecting me." I lied, happy with my excuse. I pushed him away, trying to put some space between us.

"Why is it so hot here?" I said fanning myself with my hand and looking around anywhere but him. I was getting uncomfortable under his hard gaze.

"Don't change the topic, Karolia. I want to know why you're hiding things from me." My face scrunched up in confusion and anxiety. Does he know about my meeting with Olivier? But if he knows, how? I made sure no one knows about this. As I wasn't sure, I decided to play innocent. If he didn't know, I don't want to ruin it by opening my big mouth.

"I'm not hiding anything from you." I lied. My guilt was slowly starting to resurface but I repeated to myself that it's all in order to protect them. I'm doing this to keep them safe. Yes, I'm doing the right thing.

"I don't want to start a fight, Lia." Logan's jaw clenched and his hands were balled into fists.

"Me neither. I don't understand what got you so riled up." He took a step forward and I took one back involuntarily.

"I want you to trust me enough to open up to me instead of forcing you to spill the beans," he said, disappointment and sadness swirling in his eyes.

"I trust you, Logan, with all my heart," I said, exasperated. The reason I don't want him to know about Oliver is that I don't want him to get involved in my mess. Now I am their only target. If he gets involved, that target might change into two or more. And I don't want that to happen.

"Is that so? Ask yourself again. If you do trust me, then we will talk without keeping any secrets." He said

"I trust you. I really do." I cast my eyes to the floor. "But,..."

"But what? You can't tell me what you're hiding. Right?" I remained silent and he chuckled at my lack of response.

"Thought so," he said and walked towards the door.

"Where are you going?" I asked, getting tense. He can't leave without resolving our problems. Logan turned around to me, giving me a last glance, as he opened the door. I bit my lip when I saw the hurt in his eyes and I opened my mouth to call out to him.

"Log-" My heart clenched tightly when I heard the loud sound of the door shutting. He didn't say anything and left me alone in his room. My lips trembled as I sank to the mattress, my mind clouded with sadness. He won't be back. He doesn't want to be anywhere near me now.

I trust him more than myself and I know he will protect me by all means. But the Logan I know will lock me down first before hunting for those men by himself if I tell him. That's one of the reasons I don't want him to know. He's strong and powerful but I still don't know whom we are fighting against. The so-called Boss can be an underworld enforcer for all I know.