2. Fate must really hate me

(2 months later)

'Western ExecuTrain University' is a horseshoe-shaped three-story building that encloses a huge courtyard. There are two medium-sized trees in front on either side of a sidewalk that leads up to the entrance of the building. This university is one of the prestigious campuses in New York and getting admission here wasn't easy. But with the help of Uncle Mathew, Scarlet's dad, I was able to enroll here. Few students were loitering around here and there, laughter and happiness surrounding the atmosphere.

"Are you ready?" Scarlet asked, bouncing on her heels beside me due to excitement. I looked at my best friend, a smile forming on my lips.

"So sweetheart, are you ready?" Daddy asked. I was hiding behind daddy's leg, overwhelmed after seeing a lot of students of my age. Some were crying not willing to leave their parents' side while others seemed nonchalant. Scarlet's father was trying to encourage crying Scarlet. Today is our first day at preschool.

"Daddy, I don't want to go," I said to my father, looking up at him with saddened eyes. He sat down on his knees and held my shoulder.

"Don't worry. I promise you'll love this place. Give it a try. What did I say-"

"Secret of success is to never give up," we said in unison.

"That's my girl" he kissed my forehead. "Besides Scarlet will be with you the whole time. So you won't be alone. Always be there for each other okay?"

Scarlet has been my best friend since childhood. Her parents and mine were good friends which automatically connected us both. We did everything together. When we turned fourteen, Scarlet's dad got a better job in New York. Even though we were sad and broken that we couldn't see each other anymore, we still called each other during weekends and shared everything that happened in our lives.

I can't deny that one reason that I came to New York was because of Scarlet. She is the only one that I'm so close to after my parents.

"I'm nervous," I said to her, chuckling lightly. She hugged me and promised to be with me as she doesn't have any classes today. She started her class last semester and she met her boyfriend Andrew at that time.

"Hey, Kitten!" someone whispered in my ear from behind. I rolled my eyes and shut my locker before turning around to face Andrew. My class ended five minutes earlier.

"What do you want?" I asked annoyed. From day one itself, I was skeptical about him. Andrew is a flirt, he flirts with everyone that has breasts. I tried to warn Scarlet, but that girl is head over heels in love with him. Once he even tried to seduce me when Scarlet wasn't around. From that day on, I was disgusted with him. Whenever he looks at me, I can feel him undressing me with his eyes.

"I will drop you at home" he offered.

"No thank you. I'm heading to my workplace"

"Oh, then I will drop you there. Can't let my girlfriend's best friend catch a cab when I am free" he smirked.

"I'll manage. Besides, don't you have class after half an hour?" I asked, remembering his schedule that Scarlet showed this morning.

"Half an hour is plenty of time," he said, throwing his arm around my shoulder. I shrugged his handoff.

"As I said, I'll manage" I gave him a tight-lipped smile and walked away from him. I swear one day he's going to land himself into trouble. I just hope he doesn't drag me along with it.

Evenings are always busy here but today it was more stressful as one of the staff was on leave and I had to manage his table as well. Two hours into my shift, I was already tired and my feet were aching due to the high heels. Heels were the part of the uniform here which I didn't like but I can't exactly complain to my boss about it, can I?