30. Before it's too late

"Oh my!" Grecia immediately stood up from the couch, rushing to his side.

"Mom," Logan groaned loudly, wiping the blood from his lips. "Why are you up this late?" he asked an undertone of exasperation in his voice. Unlike the attire he was wearing this morning, Logan now wore grey joggers and a black sweatshirt, his hair messier than usual. I also stood up from the couch but I couldn't move any further. It felt like some invisible force was pulling me backward. Grecia took his face in her hands, examining him. She had to stand on her toes to see his face clearly. Of course, he is 6ft tall and Grecia only needs to stand on her toes to see his face, I guess I'll need a stool for that.

"I'm fine, Ma," Logan said and removed her hands off his face. Logan's lips had been cut and blood had congealed at the corners of the red lips. His face already seemed to start to bruise a little, along with a trail of blood that had made its way down his nose. His hands were swollen and red as well. All these points to a conclusion, he lost the fight today.

His eyes found mine as he turned his head and I visibly saw him still in his position. His eyes were piercing as if he was accusing me of something. What, it's not my fault that you came home to Grecia all bruised and beaten up!

"What happened, my boy? Where were you?" She asked, her voice trembling slightly. No mother wishes to see their child getting hurt, especially someone like Grecia. Logan just shrugged nonchalantly, running his bloody hand through his hair.

"It's nothing. I'm fin-"

"Don't you dare say that word again when you aren't," Grecia said, raising her voice.

"Did you fight with Patrick again?" She asked and he looked down, clenching his jaw.

"ANSWER ME." She raised her voice at him. I flinched at her voice, but Logan remained calm.

"Yes." He said timidly, not looking into her eyes. There was a moment of silence before Grecia sighed heavily.

"I should have seen this coming. Why did I even bother asking you?" Grecia said with annoyance written on her face. I noticed Logan's fists were clenched at his sides.

"You guys fight, then makeup, what kind of childish behavior is this? You guys are not kids anymore," I frowned as I realized what's happening here. I glared at him. He is fooling his mom! This just made everything worse.

"You need to get cleaned up. Go, and I don't want to see you again like this, alright" She warned him and turned around to leave the room.

Logan glared at the floor for a moment before he looked up. My glare intensified, my lips thinning, as his gaze connected with mine. He immediately broke the gaze and walked past me. I felt a pang of pain in my heart and closed my eyes tightly. But the pain soon transformed into anger at what he was doing. I watched him disappear upstairs and I was going to go after him when Grecia called out to me.

"You don't have to worry about him sweetheart, this almost has become a normal sight for me now. Patrick and Logan have been friends since forever and it still amuses me how much they fight. But what's funnier is that they make up the next day itself, as if nothing had happened. Idiots only" Grecia says with a small smile playing on her lips. My heart pained to see she is living or rather being fed lies all these years.

I felt bad for her as I couldn't say anything. I just nodded and kept quiet. But the anger in me rose every second I thought about how he was fooling his own mother. He can't keep doing this.

I excused myself from Grecia and quickly ascended the stairs blinded by anger. How can he? All these years, since he was 16, he has been lying to her!? I remember him telling hiding this profession is only for the best, but today, after I exposed my past and how well she took it, I strongly disagree with Logan's statement.