14. Punishments

Munching on my cereals I focused on my essay that was due for next Sunday. Today's class went on like any other day, to put it simply, it was boring. I was dying to get back to the mansion as soon as possible. Thankfully, the last class I had was free as our professor was away for some emergency, I came back pretty earlier than expected.

I sigh before putting my pen down and stretching my back muscles which gave me relief. I've been behind this for two hours and I think I deserve a break now. I got up from my spot on the bed where I was sitting like a cocoon wrapped in a blanket. I forgot that I had to do my laundry today so I went to collect all the clothes that I had to wash. At least I can do some cleaning work during my break and make it productive.

I gathered a bunch of my dirty clothes and dumped them in a basket before exiting my room and down the stairs. I scanned the living room thinking that Logan would be there but he wasn't. I didn't know why it kind of made me upset but it did. I wanted to thank him for what he did for yesterday night. Even though I did thank him yesterday verbally, I wanted to show my thanks through actions. I am the type of person who doesn't like to receive help from others much but if I do then my very next motive is to repay them. Maybe I should cook for him? But isn't that what I usually do?

My thoughts got interrupted the moment I enter the utility room and spot Logan standing there with his hands scratching the back of his head in an irritated manner. There were two big washing machines installed into the wall and Logan was standing in front of one with a basket of clothes near his feet and his fingers fumbling with the settings of the machine.

I placed my basket on the table that was placed in the middle of the room and the action made him turn around to face me.

"Need some help there?" I asked him timidly. This is it. Maybe if I help him with his laundry then it will be like thanking him right. He eyed my laundry basket before looking at me.

"You are doing laundry?" he answered with a question. Something told me that he doesn't like to be helped around much. Finally, I have at least one thing that I can relate to him.

"Yes, I am. I can do yours too if you want" I tried to sound as polite as I can and wait for his answer. I was able to see him contemplating my words on his head and he finally gave me a slight nod which made me smile. I checked the setting of the system and set the timing for an hour and also set the drier option on. I made sure that the water supply was well connected before turning to ask him about the washing materials and cleaners. He told me to look up in the third cabinet where I discovered all the washing powders and fabric softeners. I always bring my own favorite cleaning products along with my dirty clothes. I carefully take out all the necessities needed and add it to the machine in the required compartments.

"This wouldn't be happening if mom was willing to keep another housemaid after Charles. You didn't have to do all this work too." I heard him speak from behind me. I turn around to notice him watching me carefully. I was so engrossed in what I was doing that I momentarily forgot that he was standing right here.

"It's not a big deal, you know. I can do it myself, in fact, I like doing household works." I told him feeling a bit awkward with how he was studying at me. He was about to open his mouth to speak when his phone rang in his pocket. He eyed the caller before looking at me. He attended the call, walking to the doorway but stopped in his tracks to look at me. He gave a slight nod and mouthed something before exiting the room. Did he just say Thank you? To be shocked was an understatement. Logan Watson just said thank you to me, to me. Maybe I should do this more often if it means that I can get some respect here.

I got back to work without pondering over it much. I put in all his clothes together in one and mine in another and started the machine, once again checked the timer, and exited the room with my basket.