65. Before the storm

Third POV:

Karolia's cell phone went off again for the fifth time. She looked at the caller ID before tossing it away beside her in boiling anger. Micah has been calling her repeatedly for the past two hours and it was getting to her nerves. She felt like picking up the call and screaming at the person to get lost, but she knows not to do it.

'Why doesn't that devil get the hint that I don't want to talk?' Karolia thought furiously.

Logan exited the washroom after his shower, rubbing his wet hair with a towel. He eyed the girl sprawled on the bed with a furious look on her face and then to the ringing phone beside her. He knew right away something was wrong.

"Who is it?" he asked cautiously, already getting a hint who it might be from her facial expression.

"Who might be," she scoffed angrily. "My two-faced uncle." she spat out in pure hatred.

"Why are you not answering his call?" he asked her cautiously. Karolia narrowed her eyes at him, feeling incredulous.

"You know the answer. Then why are you asking it?" she asked him angrily, giving him a 'duh' look. She didn't mean to be rude to him, but she couldn't help it either. She is just angry at the situation and he knows it as well. Logan sighed heavily and walked to sit beside her.

"Lia, answer the call. He shouldn't suspect anything." Logan tried to convince her. Karolia grits her teeth angrily before sitting up straight.

"No, I won't." she shook her head stubbornly. "I can't talk to him as if I'm oblivious to the truth, Log. And moreover, I don't think I will be able to control my anger if I hear that devil's voice." Logan wrapped his arm around her shoulder and brought her closer to him before kissing her temple. Her anger toned down a bit at his action.

"Babe, I can understand what you're feeling right now. But you have to consider our situation here. We need to act like this until we execute our plan, love. We can't risk anything." Logan stated. "Just for the sake of that, answer it."

Karolia squeezes her eyes shut and bit the inside of her cheeks for a few seconds in thought before nodding her head. She knows Logan has a point. In order to bring the ball in their court, she needs to act in front of him. Releasing a shaky breath, she took her still ringing phone and swiped the green button and placed it on her ear.

"Hey, kiddo." Karolia bit her lip as soon as his fake fatherly voice reached her ears. "Are you alright? I got worried when you didn't answer my calls."

Karolia swallowed heavily and opened her mouth to speak up, but she couldn't. Just hearing his sickly sweet tone is bringing back the picture of her parents' burnt body. Shaking her head, she quickly ended the call.

With glassy eyes, she looked at Logan. "I c-can't, Log. It's t-too hard for me to act normal. I-I'm sorry." she sobbed, her heart clenching tightly.

"It's alright, love." he assured her, caressing her soft cheeks. Karolia's phone started ringing again and this time, Logan answered it. Karolia looked at him with wide eyes, silently asking what he's doing. Logan gave her a reassuring nod.

"Hello, Micah. This is Logan here." Logan spoke, keeping his tone casual.

"Hello, son. What happened to Karrie? She cut my call immediately." he had a concerned tone in his voice and Logan wanted nothing but to reach through the phone and punch the bastard hard on his face.

"Oh, don't mind about that. She just rushed to the washroom to empty her stomach." he lied smoothly. "Lia isn't feeling well since yesterday."

"Is that so? Did she go to the hospital? I'll come right away." Micah said in an upset tone. Now Logan can easily make out the fakeness in it and it made him angry that he was only able to detect it now.