The Letter

Chapter Three

Hermione sat in the Gryffindor common room, after dinner. working on her Potions essay.

Harry and Ron sat beside her, secretly trying to copy her work. She sighed as she noticed their eyes frantically reading the sentence she just wrote.

"I'll help you if you want but don't copy my work," she scoffed, obviously frustrated.

"Cant we just copy it," Harry groaned.

" Yeah please Mione," Ron replied sticking out his bottom lip and giving her his best puppy eyes. Hermione glared at him and was about to storm off to her dorm when Harry called out her name again. She turned around and was ready to argue when she noticed that he was pointing at the window.

A small owl was fluttering outside and pecking the glass. Hermione rushed forward to let the owl inside. It flew in, swiftly dropped an envelope into her hand and flew back out the window. She held it up and turned it over in her hands.

To Miss Granger
From Minerva McGonagall

"Who's it from Mione," Harry asked eagerly.

"Professor McGonagall," Hermione responded her eyes still locked on the envelope as she began to open it carefully.

She looked up at the boys as she pulled out the letter and saw Harry and Ron giving her quizzical looks.

"It's probably the details about my tutoring with Malfoy," She muttered answering their question before they could ask it

"Well read it out then," Ron pushed impatiently.

Hermione rolled her eyes before unfolding the letter and reading,

To Miss Granger,
Following on from what I told you in class, I have some details on your tutoring session with Mr Malfoy. You will be working with him on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays including tonight. I expect you both to meet in the Library at 9:15 sharp. If you have any issues with these arrangements let me know immediately.

"How are you supposed to be at the library at 9:15 when the curfew is at 9:00," Ron interjected.

"Well I haven't finished reading, have I Ronald" She retorted shaking her head at his stupidity.

I have given you both permission to be out after curfew on these nights only as long as you are studying in the library since I believe there will be fewer distractions. You may stay in the library for as long as you need but I am trusting you to get a good night's sleep and follow school rules.

Regards,
Minerva McGonagall

"Mione you do realize 9:10," Ginny said from across the room, She had obviously been listening to Hermione reading the letter.

Hermione sighed "I guess I better get going then," she said sullenly picking up her transfiguration books.

"Good Luck" Harry called out and Hermione knew she was going to need it.

———

Draco had been talking to Pansy when an owl swooped in and dropped a letter, similar to Hermione's, on his lap. He ripped it open and read it briefly before scrunching it up.

"What was that about," Pansy said in her usual snarky voice trying to grab the letter from him.
He shoved it deep inside his pocket and she rolled her eyes at him.

"I have to go," He snapped ignoring her.

He stood up swiftly grabbing his transfigurations books from the table and left the common room without looking back.

Pansy muttered something about it being after curfew as the door slammed shut.

-

Draco stormed into the library and scowled when he saw Hermione sitting at one of the tables.

He had been hoping she wouldn't show.

He yanked out the chair next to her as loudly as he could, causing her to jump. She turned and glared at him, watching as he sat down and slammed his books on the table before crossing his arms and lying back in his chair.

"Someone's throwing a tantrum" She muttered, "What, are you not happy about being tutored by a mudblood," she continued.

He turned to look at her and for a second she thought she could see an apologetic look in his eyes but it vanished so quickly she could have imagined it.

Draco sat up straighter muttering something under his breath.

"What did you say," Hermione asked as she started placing her books and notes on the table.

"Can we just get this over with" Malfoy repeated slightly louder "I want to get out of here"

"Well maybe if you focus instead of sulking we could get it done quicker," She scoffed not trying to hide her frustration.

Malfoy rolled his eyes but didn't complain and instead grabbed a fresh roll of parchment and took notes as Hermione explained their past lesson to him.

-

They finally finished taking notes an hour or two later.

Malfoy groaned and stretched his back, his shirt lifting up slightly exposing his lower abs.

Hermione's breath caught in her throat as she watched him and she quickly looked down at her watch. "It's 11 o'clock," she said rather suddenly make Malfoy look up "I've been explaining this for two hou-" Her words were cut off as she yawned her tiredness getting the better of her.

"Aww is Granger tired," Malfoy said mocking her, his usual smirk returning to his face.
"Don't push it Malfoy, I'm not afraid to tell all your Slytherin friends that I'm tutoring you" She snarled.

Malfoy froze.

How did she know he hadn't told anyone? Hermione laughed at the look on his face but stopped instantly as he grabbed her wrist and pulled her towards him so that their faces were only inches apart. He was so close to her that she could feel his spearmint breath on her face and she shivered. "You tell anyone about this and I will hex you into next year," he growled, loosening his grip when he noticed a look of fear cross her face.

Silently he stood up grabbed his books and stormed out of the library.

Hermione left shortly after him and headed back to the Gryffindor common room.

She never thought she would be this excited to go to bed.