Aftermath

Chapter Six:

Hermione slowly opened her eyes adjusting to the bright sunlight seeping into her common room. She sat up and the knot in her stomach tightened as the events of last night replayed in her head.

She pulled open the curtains around her bed and saw that the room was empty. She realized why when she looked down at the alarm clock on her bedside table. It was 11:30. She felt like she was going to be sick, third period had started 15 minutes ago.

She jumped up, throwing on her robes from yesterday and hanging her tie loosely around her kneck. After grabbing her stuff, swallowing a few mints and slipping on her shoes she ran out of the door.

She stopped, gasping for breath outside the double doors that lead to McGonagall's Transfiguration classroom. After calming her nerves as much as she could she pushed open the door slightly and slipped into an empty desk at the back. She could feel everyone's eyes staring at her but McGonagall quickly regained their attention and continued with the lesson.

"So I would you all to finish the essay we started last lesson," McGonagall said her strick voice echoing in the room. Hermione picked up her quill but before she could get out her book she heard the teacher's voice from beside her. "Miss Granger, may I see you outside." Hermione could feel her stomach drop as she stood up and followed the teacher outside.

"Miss Granger, No one has seen you all morning and then you turn up 20 minutes late to my lesson, looking like a mess," Hermione could hear the disappointment in her teacher's voice and she dropped her head.

"What's going on Hermione, this isn't like you," McGonagall's tone softened as she layed a hand on the girl's shoulder. "Do you want me to get Potter."

"No," Hermione said all too quickly. She noticed McGonagall giving her a strange look but she didn't push the subject. "Well if you're sure you're okay you can come back inside and work on you're essay. Although I will have to take 10 points from Gryffindor for your tardiness."

Hermione just nodded in response and walked but into the classroom.

She could feel Draco's stormy grey eyes staring at her but she refused to look back at him. She sat there staring at her empty parchment until the bell rang. 

She stood up quickly grabbing her books and made her way out the door. She was walking through the corridor when she felt him grab her hand.

"Hermione" Draco said cautiously. Hermione turned to face him, she could see Harry and Ron watching and whispering to each other. "Leave me alone Malfoy," Hermione muttered. She could see the pain forming in his eyes. "What did I do," He whimpered quietly staring at her. She just shook her head and said "I'm can't do tonight, I'm busy," before turning around and walking to her next class. He never saw the tears spilling out of her eyes.

Draco stood there feeling his world crashing around him. Every part of his body felt cold and he sighed running a hand through his hair.

Hermione sat through the rest of her lessons with her head down. She didn't answer a single question which came as a surprise to teachers and students alike. She didn't show up at dinner either and instead went and layed in her bed, although sleep was the last thing on her mind. She had canceled on Malfoy to try and show her loyalty to Harry and Ron but they were continuing to ignore her.

She lay quietly as the other girls walked back from dinner giggling about boys. She saw someone open her curtains and a girl with bright red hair sat down softly on the end of her bed. "Mione," Ginny said quietly handing her a couple pieces of bread in a napkin. Hermione shook her head and rolled over. "Come on Mione you haven't eaten all day," She said stroking the girl's arm. Hermione didn't answer. "Fine, but you're eating at breakfast," Ginny said quite forcefully as she stood up, but before she left she turned round to look back at Hermione and said "If you want to talk, I'm here for you,"

------

Hermione waited until the girls fell asleep before quietly walking out of their dormitory. She was wearing a grey oversized hoodie, white gym shorts, that were hidden by her hoodie, and short black socks.

She slipped through the hallways to the library and stepped inside. She didn't know why she decided to go to the library but it was the place she felt safest, it was her escape.

She walked down one of the empty rows and sat with her back against the wall. Her head fell forward to her knees and she finally let herself cry.

-------

Draco couldn't sleep. He rolled over, again and again, watching his clock tick closer to midnight. Sighing he stood up and slipped a white t-shirt on over his grey trackies. He left the common room silently, he didn't know where he was going, he just walked and sooner or later he found himself outside of the library.

Well I'm here now I might as well go inside, he thought to himself. He stepped through the door and was looking through books when he heard the girl crying. He stopped, should he leave or see if she's okay. He knew what it felt like to be alone, to feel empty. He sighed, following the noise and that's when he saw her. Without thinking he sat down beside her.

Hermione looked up as the blonde boy sat down next to her. "Mione," he said softly laying his arm around her and pulling her closer. She arched her back and tried to pull away but he just gripped her tighter stroking her arm. Her lip quivered and she failed to keep back her sobs. "Hey, It's gonna be ok," He whispered comforting her.

His head was pressed into her hair, she smelled like vanilla.

 I just want to stay like this forever, he thought to himself but he didn't dare say it.