Apologies

TW: mentions of domestic violence

Chapter 20

The next couple of days passed in a blur. The three teenagers spent most of their time in bed with a throbbing hangover or watching movies on the couch. The weather had grown colder and it was three days after Christmas that the storms finally stopped and everything was left in a coating of white fluffy snow. 

Hermione had spent most of her time studying in her room so she was rather surprised when the door opened and Draco entered dressed in jeans and a thick jacket. 

"What are you up to," she questioned not looking up from her book. Draco didn't answer and walked over to her cupboard pulling out jeans, a hoodie and a coat. 

"Draco, what are you doing," She sighed closing her book.  

"Get changed quickly and meet me by the front door, no questions," he smirked and left the room.

She rolled her eyes but got out bed and got changed into the clothes he had placed out before heading towards the front door extremely curious to see where they were going.

Draco was leaning against the front door and held it open for her when she came downstairs.  She walked outside and was instantly hit by the cold air. She gasped and shivered as she shoved her hands inside her pockets.  

She heard the door close and felt Draco slip his hands around her waist and pull her into his chest. She relaxed into his body heat and he rubbed her arm in an attempt to warm her up. 

"Can you please talk to me now," She begged to turn around to stare at him with pleading eyes

Draco sighed, he knew he could never say no to her when she looked at him like that, "I'll talk but I'm not telling you where we're going."

She whined slightly in protest but followed him as he walked on along the icy path. She hurried to catch up and skidded, slamming into his side. He caught her and burst out laughing.

"Might want to walk a bit slower, Princess," he teased and intertwined his hand in hers, They walked further forward for a while in a comfortable silence untill they reached a small park at the end of the road. 

Draco lead her through the gate and they sat on a bench under a large, leafless shell of a tree. They stared out at the view of the harbour in front of them. Large shipped were docked on the snow, covered wharf and the usually busy harbourfront shops where empty. 

There was no one else around, it was just them, the cold wind and the snow. Hermione snuggled under Draco's arm, "So why are we here," she asked once again.

"I don't know, I wanted to get out and we haven't spent time alone in ages," He said thoughtfully. 

Hermione smiled at the simple fact that he wanted to spend time with her.  Her heart swelled in her chest and she placed a kiss on his cold cheek. He gave her a small smile and turned his attention back to the boats on the water.

"What's on your mind," she said in a worried tone. 

Draco released a gloomy sigh and let the fake smile drop from his lips. "It's stupid," He protested as he ran his hands through his hair.

"Draco Malfoy, it's not stupid," She assured as she took his hands in hers.

"I just, I love you, I really love you and the more I fall for you the more it's going to hurt when we don't work out and I'm scared because I don't think I can take it when my heart breaks," he stammered not meeting her eyes.

"What makes you think we are not going to work out," Hermione said biting her lip. 

"Nothing ever does, love never works," he trembled blinking back tears.