Amortentia

snape's alive btw 

Chapter Seven

Hermione sat at the back of the cold potions classroom whispering with Harry and Ron. The trio were back on speaking terms but it was still rather awkward, especially since Hermione still had to tutor Draco. 

"I still think the Chudley Cannons should have won the match" Ron muttered quietly to Harry and Hermione. 

"I know right, Gorgovitch shouldn't of gotten a penalty," Harry added.  

"Mr Potter is there something you would like to share with the class," an icy voice said disrupting the trio's conversation. They heard the Slytherins laugh mockingly from across the classroom. 

"No sir" Harry responded looking down.

"Well, in that case, Weasley come and sit next to Nott, Potter come and sit next to Parkinson and Malfoy go sit next to Granger," complains erupted around the room as snape spoke but he ignored them and kept talking "Hurry up."

Hermione didn't look up as Draco sat down next to her. The atmosphere between them was awkward and any attempt at a conversation was strained. 

They hadn't dared talk about the one night they fell asleep in the library. Well, as a matter of fact, the only thing they ever talked about was the transfiguration homework.

"Today you are going to be working with your partner to create a potion called Amortentia. Can anyone explain to me what this is?" Snape addressed the class. Hermione felt all eyes fall on her but she refused to raise her hand. 

The teacher sighed, "Amortentia is derived from the Latin words, "Amor" meaning "Love" and "Tentia" meaning "Held". Amortentia is the most powerful love potion in the world or in existence. Amortentia smells different to each person, according to what attracts them.  Although true love cannot be produced through artificial means, and thus the feelings that love potions create are more like obsession rather than affection. Therefore the person under the effect of the potion will only hold an obsession for the person who administered it. The effects off the potion can be dangerous; the person appears sick and pale and talks about the object of their affection in a subconscious manner. The person may also become dangerously excited or unstable towards others." He explained, "Now turn to page 56 in your textbook and work with your partner to brew the potion."

The class exploded into conversation as they got started. 

"I'll get the ingredients If you wanna set up," Draco said awfully close to Hermione's ear. She nodded, shivering as she felt his breath on her neck.

 She was setting up their cauldron when Draco returned spreading an assortment of odd ingredients on their table. They got to work without talking apart from the small comments on Draco's precision from Hermione. 

Their silence was broken when an Ashwinder Egg hit Draco in the head causing him to mutter a string of colorful words. 

"Sorry" Hermione stuttered. She had been trying to cut the egg in half when it had flown from her grasp.

"Here, let me help," Draco insisted,  he moved closer beside her placing his hands on top of hers. She flinched at his touch and he pretended not to notice. He applied slight pressure and the gold egg split in half. Hermione added it to the potion alongside rose petals, moonstone, and peppermint. It erupted in bright pink smoke startling Hermione and Draco.

"Well, well," Snape said, "Looks like Malfoy and Granger have finished first." Everyone's eyes flashed their way and Hermione blushed a slight pink. 

"Now we have to see if it was done correctly," Snape continued "Granger, step forward and tell me what you smell."

Hermione stepped forward cautiously, inhaling deeply. "I smell spearmint toothpaste, freshly mowed grass and... new parchment" She stepped back quickly and blushed crimson when she realized what she had said. No, It couldn't be, she thought to herself, she doesn't like him like that, she just couldn't. 

Her thoughts were interrupted when Snape spoke once again, "Very good Granger, Malfoy your turn," he gestured for Draco to step forward.

Draco did as he was told and stepped forward gingerly. 

"Um, I smell... vanilla and um daisies and.. green apples" He stuttered. The Slytherin girls giggled, admiring Draco with their hungry eyes.

Draco stepped back beside Hermione. She was what he had smelled and he hoped she hadn't noticed.

But Hermione wasn't 'the smartest witch of her age' for no reason.

"Since you two finished first you can pack up and leave 10 minutes early,"  Snape growled filling the chamber with his emotionless voice. The two students nodded and packed up quickly. They didn't speak as they left the classroom, Draco turned left and Hermione turned right.