N.E.W.T.S

Chapter 27:

The next few weeks passed all too quickly. They all spent their time studying quietly and very few words were shared as they ate dinner in the common room.

Hermione distanced herself from everyone although especially from Sirius. Every time she looked at him guilt fluttered in her chest and shame pooled in her stomach.

Keeping her head in a book and her mind occupied also kept her thoughts from wandering towards Draco who she still hadn't been allowed to visit and Narcissa had stopped coming to update her.

She had tried to get information out of Remus but he seemed to have no idea what was going on or he was an excellent liar.

On top of her worries about Draco, N.E.W.T.S seemed to be approaching faster than anyone was expecting and no one was happy about it.

The days merged together and soon Monday morning had arrived dulling any happy spirits left.

As they sat in the exam hall they saw their fellow classmates for the first time since the party and were slightly relieved to see similar looks of panic on their faces. Draco and Ron were still in isolation and forced to take the exams alone unlike the others. 

The tension in the common room only grew thicker as exam week began and the silence became colder. 

As the week crept to a close more worries were looming in front of everyone. Their punishments for the party that they now saw as the mistake of their lives and the threat of a person that had cast the imperious curse on one of their favorite redheads. 

It also seemed too surreal but yet unfortunately too true. Hermione often spent time on top of the astronomy tower, escaping, as the sun dropped below the trees and stars burst through the murky clouds.

She ran to a world she knew didn't exist, leaving even her own thoughts. She was sitting with her feet dangling off the edge of the tower with crushed cigarettes beside her when she would make what she would soon refer to as the second biggest mistake of her life.

"Mione," A voice spoke interrupting her thoughts, a voice that could stop her heart and set it on fire at the same time.

She ripped her head around to see Draco leaning against the wall. He was wearing his similar smirk although he seemed weak and his eyes were missing their usual glint. 

Before she knew what she was doing her arms were around his neck and she was holding him as close as she could.

"Wait what the hell," he muttered untangling their limbs and stepping backwards.

"Draco," she whispered looking concerningly at the boy with a furrowed brow.

"Have you been smoking," he asked frustration strangling his words.

"It's not a big deal," she shrugged but Draco's cold gaze seemed to imply otherwise.

"It fucking kills you, why do you think I quit, I thought you were better than that," he yelled and her heart twinged in pain.

"You sound like Sirius," she argued suppressing her emotions and Draco bit his lip shaking his head in shock.

"Well, maybe you should have listened to him then," he growled with glossy eyes.

"So are you the only one that is allowed to be broken," She yelled choking slightly on the sobs hidden in her throat, "We all have to help fix Draco but we can't break along the way because everyone else has to be perfect," 

Draco glare locked with hers and his eyes grew darker hiding the shattered heart inside his chest. 

Hermione stormed down the stairs as stars disappeared behind foggy clouds. 

"Well I'm sorry I didn't grow up with the perfect parents and the perfect friends, you little stuck up princess," he shouted close behind her. 

The corridors where empty since it was after curfew though the thought of waking up teachers hadn't even crossed their minds.

"I'm sorry you have daddy issues," She snapped turning on her heel to face him as they stood in the entrance hall.

"You bitch," he spat with anger laced in every word. His blood was burning his skin as it raced to support his thumping heart.

"I hate you, I fucking hate you," Hermione cried out unaware of Sirius and Remus watching with wide eyes.

"I guess I'm not enough for the perfect princess," he hissed back and Hermione felt tears spill.

"I hate you," she screamed again taking a step closer.

"Don't worry Granger it's mutual," he said calmly and Hermione ran out the main doors not seeing Draco crumble to the floor with blood pounding in his ears.

"Draco look at me," Lupin said rushing towards him and helping him sit up against the cold wall as Sirius ran after Hermione.

The blonde boy took in a shaky breath as he refocused on his surroundings. 

"I love her," he whispered to Remus who was kneeling in front of him with sad eyes.

"I know you do," he comforted helping Draco to his feet who was trembling and breathing heavily.

"I need to go after to her, I'm sorry," he stammered as he tried to start towards the door but Lupin stopped him.

"Hey bud, she needs time to cool off," he smiled reassuringly, "let's go and get you some water, you're body is still weak," guiding Draco they both started towards Lupin's office silently.

Hermione was collapsed on her knees hyperventilating when Sirius found her. "Mione," he whispered kneeling beside her.

"I- I didn't I just," she stammered between sobs but Sirius hushed her and pulled her into his chest as he lent onto a tree.

They sat for a while under the black empty sky as Hermione tried to match her breathing to his.

"I don't understand," she finally muttered into the suffocating darkness around them.

"he loves you," Sirius answered cryptically.

"I don't think so," she whispered back.

"I yelled at you for the same reasons and I love you to death," he responded again.

"I didn't know how to deal without him so I just lost myself," she murmured apologetically and Sirius squeezed her arm comforting her.

"He went into cardiac arrest three times," Sirius finally said, "partly because his lungs were failing him from smoking along with the blood loss, that's why you couldn't see him and why he couldn't bear to see you smoking,"

Hermione swallowed feeling guilt start to mix with the anger in her stomach. 

"I hate him, I don't care," she spat suddenly as anger overruled her. It was at that moment that she was extremely thankful to the starless sky for disguising her tears.