35. Black

Elizabeth's POV

It has been eight days since the factory incident. Things have been so different since then.

They where the good changes and the bad ones.

I have been spending a lot of time with my unit. We where all in this together. And I could not help but feel responsible.

As though my actions lead us where we are right now.

Gathered at a cemetery. All dressed in black. Staring at the platinum coloured casket that held the body of our friend.

I still couldn't believe he was gone. What we did for a living always made us feel like we where on borrowed time. And it could be taken away from us any second.

The next mission could be your last mission. We knew that. But nothing ever prepares us for the reality of it.

I didn't even get to say goodbye. Or tell him how much I loved him as my friend.

Or even out our prank scores.

Bastard died with a point ahead of me. I think to myself with a sad smile on my face.

I'm drawn out of my thoughts by the priests voice.

"In the name of the father, and of the son, and of the Holt spirit."

We all reply quietly in chorus.

"Amen."

They all begin to approach the casket one at a time. Putting down a white rose an the top followed by a few whispered words before moving away.

I just stood there. And watched everything play out.

It was a strange feeling. Like I was out of my body. Staring from afar.

"Babe it's about to rain. We should leave soon." Ethan mumbled in my ear.

I just turned to look at him. He looked sad too. And tired. Like he had not slept in days. I hope after all this I'll have the strength to move on. For both our sakes.

"Izzy?" He called gently, as though if he said my name any louder I would startle and shatter like glass afterwards.

I don't blame him. It might just be true anyways.

Giving him a small smile I reply.

"I'll meet you at the car. Give me a moment alone. Please."

"Sure Izzy." He says. Kissing me softly on the cheek before walking away.

I just stare blankly at his retreating figure till he disappears from sight.

Taking a deep breath I turn back in time to watch as the coffin gets lowered mechanically.

Just standing there. Witnessing his last moments under the clouds, where light can touch.

I have not shed a tear since the moment I looked into his dead eyes at that dreadful factory.

Never given myself the chance to mourn. But as I watch his body being lowered into the ground the finality of the situation suddenly hits me with full force.

It was like for the first time since he died, I let myself feel completely. And accept that it is irreversible. And just like that, the dam in my eyes break loose.

The first teardrop slides down my left eye. Rolling slowly down my cheek and into the grass.

And as though the heavens where waiting for me to start the music, the calming melody of rain drops follow.

I looked up at the sky. The rain coming down directly on my face, mixing with my tears.

He always loved the smell of the air after it rained. Only fitting he got to experience it one last time.

I look back down a little while later and the grave has been covered up.

I walk forward and keel a few steps away. Leaning my arm towards the sand I place my rose on top.

"Goodbye Derek, I'll never forget. I promise." I whisper.

Like an invisible messenger, a soft breeze blows by me. Carrying my words to him.

A few minutes later I felt strong arms wrap around me. Picking me up bridal style and taking me away from there.

I didn't bother looking though. I knew it was Ethan. I could smell his Cologne. Funny how he hasn't changed it since we where teens.

I don't know when I fell asleep, but I open my eyes to to the sight of Ethan striping me of my wet clothes. The room is really warm, so I assume he turned up the heat.

He is oblivious to the fact that I am awake. Silently watching him.

It's almost amusing how he makes effort to not stare at my underdressed body. My sweet Ethan.

When I'm down to my underwear he pulls the duvet over me and goes to take his leave.

"Wait!" I call to him. My voice weaker than intended. He starlets a bit. But quickly gets himself together.

"Yes Izzy. Did you want something?" He asks softly.

"Yes. Please stay." I plead. Really not wanting to be alone tonight.

"Sure." He answer's. A small smile on his lips.

He walks toward the other side of the bed, and out of my sight. There's some shuffling sounds, but shortly after the bed dips. Indicating he just got in.

I move closer to him. Scooting backwards till my bare back is pressed against warm firm chests.

He wasted no time putting his hand around my waist and pulling me into him.

As I listen to the steady rhythm of his heart beat, I let my mind wander.

After Jeremy's confession, I searched With Spencer's help and found documents that state I am the rightful owner of the agency and all the assets that it owns. Also, a small fortune in an account with my name on it popped up.

After deliberating on what to do with all of that, I finally decided.

I know that the agents working there do it because the want to. And they love it.

Dawn and Spence, the last of my unit definitely did love it there. It was their life. Their home.

Since I was already lying comfortable in the arms of a man I considered of my home, and had more than enough for a new life. I got papers made to sign the agency over to Dawn and Spencer.

They proved that I could trust them with my life. An in extension every other thing I owned.

It has been a long journey. And the road had not been an easy one.

But it lead me back to where I belong.

Our fates where cruel twisted, Ethan and I. But it pointed us in the same direction.

And we will never be apart again. Not if I could help it.

"Good night Ethan." I whisper.

"Good night Izzy."

And then the darkness takes over.

THE END.

***********************

I hope you like this... Please help share and vote if you do.
And I am complete open to corrections and tips so leave a comment if you can.

And for those that have taken the time to vote and comment . I appreciate it.

Thanks!!