Chapter 1

As Lady Susan stepped out of her rented abode in Sanditon, her lovely green velvet hat with a bright blue ostrich feather plume out the back adorned her lovely head fetchingly as only the highest quality was known too. Her white silk shawl draped smartly over her shoulders for the weather was in the midst of turning so her green overcoat was not enough to warm her.

Within moments her shoes were slick with coastal mud. Finer texture than London was known for, and a far muddier street she thought frustratedly. But it was where she could seek the comfort of good company sorely lacking her of late. 

She had sent word to her dear friend Miss Heywood just the night before only to learn that she was not about. 

"Lady Worcester!" came a cheerful voice behind her and she smiled glad for the familiar Mr. Tom Parker and his close association with Miss Heywood. 

"Mr. Parker, I was just on my way to call upon you and demand an explanation on where Miss Heywood has gone," she said coming directly to the point. She wasn't of the age that beating around the bush would be prudent. 

"Oh yes, well Lady Worcester it could not be helped. She said she was homesick," he said confused on that mark. 

Frowning she fluttered her lashes in thought. "Oh, I had thought it was in reaction to certain upcoming nuptials quite distressing her."

Mr. Tom Parker sputtered and shook his head. "I know of no such attachment to any entangled man. My brother Sidney Parker you of course know is soon to be married, but I know of no such attachment there." he scratched his jaw. 

She smiled sweetly. "You must have your eyes checked, or perhaps look past your own nose, Mr. Parker," she said sweetly in her direct way that exuded confidence. "Men like you are often too deeply absorbed in your own affairs to notice love blooming around you."

He shook his head and smiled. "Of course you are mistaken. Sidney and Mrs. Campion have been in love for near ten years. To now be together after all they have gone through is a tale worthy of Shakespeare." 

Lady Worcester shook her head and rolled her eyes. "Careful Mr. Parker. Shakespeare was known for comedy and tragic romance." she chided with a smile. "Let us not gossip on the love lives of those close to us. How are you and Mrs. Parker?" she asked warmly. 

"Well, well," he laughed. "I have actually come from an audience with Lady Denham and upon hearing you are in Sanditon she wished to extend an invitation to dinner tonight. I know it is such short notice but we did not know you were coming." 

She touched her handkerchief to her face as a carriage went by. The horses had a smell that lingered in the sea towns small tight streets. The combination was potent. 

"I would be pleased to attend. I was afraid I was going to be too bored while here without Miss Heywood, but dinner would be delightfully diverting in light of that unfortunate news," she said nodding her head. 

"May I call on you and your lovely wife tomorrow around three?" she asked. 

Mr. Parker nodded. "I am sure my wife would be delighted, I will too of course." he looked up to her rented home. "Do your apartments suit you?" he asked since she was being housed at the hotel. 

She smiled and nodded. "It is certainly comfortable. But I would have much preferred to stay in the pavilion." 

He nodded. "Yes, the fire near to wiped us out, but my brother Sidney Parker found the means, and his hearts desire as I spoke of before. Mrs. Campion being she."

Lady Susan frowned perplexed by this comment but then nodded and bid him goodbye for the moment. "Till later, Mr. Parker."