Chapter 52

Anger at himself washed over Sidney. He kept telling himself to hold back. To numb these emotions that threatened to escape but when alone with her it all weakened and fell like children's blocks on the floor.

Pacing a moment in front of the Prince Regents box he puffed on his smoke. It was centering him. tethering frayed emotions back to ground.

Entering Lady Worcesters box he found Mrs. Campion had moved closer next to Captain Warrick for a better look.

"Oh My dear Sidney, you just missed the most hilarious point of the play I think," Eliza said to him with a smile on her face. He noted that it looked genuine for once.

the Captain looked at him seriously as if he was trying to read him.

"Sorry I missed it." He replied taking his seat behind them.

Captain Warrick shifted his body away from Eliza but Sidney did not take note. He craved to lean over and see what was happening in the box next to them but had to restrain that obvious action and sit stiffly with a disagreeable expression the entire time. If asked at the end of the evening what the plays were about he would have no idea. All he had seen was some colorful characters getting hurt in some shallow slapstick humor. No, even a tragedy play would hold more interest to him, but this comedy felt like it mocked his pain.

The laughter chipped away at his thinly tethered restraint and he turned to the table at the entrance and found the port. Pouring himself a glass he threw it back with a sigh as he closed his eyes. The only spirits he had consumed in days were his morning ale which all gentlemen drank to start their day.

Through the laughter, he could recall the flames they had fought not knowing that his life was going up in those flames as well. Red clouded his eyes as he closed them thinking of all the ways it could have been prevented.

Readying himself to pour another glass he stopped. He had resolved to not allow intoxication to occur again in this fragile state of mind he found himself in.

Putting the glass down with finality he decided against pouring a second. He was not about to lose his wits under the power of the drinks control again. He would not risk ruining Charlotte's or his own reputation.

But blast it all, he cursed inside his head.

He could still feel how her hand pressed against him and how he held it there not wanting it to leave him. He could not pull her to him or take her mouth against his again. Forever forbidden and what was available held little appeal when compared to what had slipped through his fingers one night amidst their burning hopes.

Lady Susan entered and he realized it was intermission. She was followed by the Prince Regent.

"Your Highness." Captain Warrick, Mrs. Campion managed to stand and offer the customary gesture of respect.

"You are Mr. Sidney Parker." the Prince said with a loud and direct voice.

Sidney bowed his head. "Indeed I am Highness,"

The Prince looked upon his face. "Like to box?" he asked.

Sidney's jaw clenched but nodded. "There are times when I am of a mood for it," he answered honestly but not entirely.

The Prince smiled. "Was it Hanz the stone?" he said naming off a notable German boxer said to circulate the underground clubs in London.

Sidney sighed. "Yes, I believe it was."

The Prince frowned and looked serious. "You survived it?"

Sidney nodded. "As you see."

The Prince Regent nodded. "Hanz the stone has killed half of his opponents," he said looking at his injuries. "The ones that survive often look worse than you."

Shaking his head. "I was hard to recognize a few days ago. You have your friend to thank for it, Lord Babington pulled me out of one of those clubs and nursed me."

The Prince smiled. "Ah Babington yes, good man to have in a pinch. Should have been our sweet Miss Heywood though. She is a perfect nurse," he said turning to her. "I assume you are of the Parkers of Sanditon that she has spoken to me of?"

Sidney looked to Charlotte his eyes soft. "Yes, she stayed with my brother Tom and his wife Mary for the summer."

The Prince looked at Charlotte and smiled softly taking her hand. "Always extolling the virtues of the small fishing village by the sea." he looked back at Sidney who looked at Charlotte appreciatively. She would always look out for his family's home. "I imagine from what I have heard that the plans are very grand."

Sidney nodded. "Not so grand as Brighton, but I confess I believe my brother Tom is inspired by your own projects."

The prince looked at Charlotte and released her hand. "Now Sanditon, should it not be a place of delicate ladies respite?" he asked. "For where the rabbit leads the hounds surely will follow," he said enthusiastically. "If the delectable Miss Heywood and woman of similar wit and comeliness were about I do think many of the gentry would think very keenly on giving Sanditon a visit on their way to Brighton."

Sidney smiled and nodded. "Indeed," he nodded and bowed his head. 'You have quite a vision. Highness." he said lastly.

"Charlotte and Captain Warrick are leaving for Sanditon. Charlotte has received an invitation to attend as Lady Denham's companion until the spring." Lady Susan scanned Mrs. Campion's expression which darted to her cousin and she frowned thoughtfully.

"The grand Sanditon house is a vision." Mrs. Campion spoke softly. "I so enjoyed the wedding party of the Babington's there."

The prince looked to her and frowned. "Mrs. Campion, you are the wealthy widow are you not?"

She nodded blushing.

"I did not know your husband but I had a great respect for his work," he said seriously. "Apologies on your loss."

Lady Susan smiled. "But there are to be congratulations soon your Highness, Mr. Parker, and Mrs. Campion are to be wed," she said quickly.

The prince laughed. "Oh, yes, yes, I see." his eyes went to Miss Heywood. "I suppose this one will be wedding too I dare say. More is the pity, would that the unplucked stay thus and we can admire them forever," he said quite lewdly.

Sidney nodded uncomfortably but also selfishly shared the sentiment.

"I wish you both happiness," he said looking at Mrs. Campion. "Warrick you blaggard, you have not visited me since your return. I take it to heart," he said his face hard.

Captain Warrick laughed and nodded. "I thought you still wanting a break from my opinions."

The prince rolled his eyes. "Three years is a long enough break."

Warrick smiled and bowed. "Then I would be honored to call upon you."

The Prince waved at him dramatically. "Ah, but you are off to Sanditon, no doubt galloping after this little hare. Though I don't blame you."

Charlotte's blush had turned beat red and crept up her neck to her face.

"Oh look, the show is about to begin again, but I am done for the night." He said looking to the group. "Wish the travelers well on their journey, and Warrick to you good hunting." he winked.

The prince turned and all of them curtsied as he left without much ceremony.

Sidney could see how the blush had turned her bright red and she looked at him nervously as she took her seat again by Captain Warrick but was not interested in conversation while she fretted with her gloves on her lap.

How he longed to reach for her hand and steady the nerves he could see shaking her but he knew he was a great source of her anxiety and he longed to comfort her, but he could not even begin to comfort himself. She was to go to Sanditon and Warrick was following...