Chapter 155

Lady Susan stepped out of the house that evening and joined Sidney on the stoop.

Smiling and pulling her shawl close. "That was thrilling," she whispered in the evening.

Sidney's jaw tightened in his tense state.

"You don't seem in the least bit pleased with the outcome." Lady Susan observed with curiosity.

Looking out at the street as it moved with the last vestiges of activity for the evening he exhaled a great cloud of smoke.

He glanced at her and shook his head. "I have not the slightest notion of how to feel," he replied.

She leaned against the stone building. "Your pride is hurt?" she asked.

Sidney shook his head. "It will look like I want her for her fortune." he cursed and looked back out. "If I had not tried to settle things so much here before going to her, it might have looked different to others."

Lady Susan scoffed. "Oh tosh, why would you care a fig what others think?" she asked.

He shook his head. "I put Sanditon and my family first." regret filled his mind.

"Seems to me she admires that about you," Susan replied.

He scoffed. "I'm not so sure her father will."

Laughter broke out on the stoop and Sidney turned to see Lady Susan quite amused.

"Apologies." she covered her mouth. "I am sure you don't need his admiration, just approval.

Turning to her he leaned on the pillar still smoking and brooding his dark thoughts. "At this point, I do not believe I would have it. Being named her guardian muddles how my interest could be perceived."

The laughter ended she nodding now understanding and softly smiled. "Mr. Heywood seems a hard man. Though I but met him for a moment I do believe it left a lasting impression that I won't likely forget for all my days." she chuckled. "Oh, I forgive him for it. He was just acting on the information he had received. It was a terrible shame, however. Who knows what the man thinks of us now."

Sidney winced thinking of it. "I do believe I am going to be asked a lot of uncomfortable questions which honest answers will do me no credit."

"Ah yes, but people are not angels, and we fluctuate between right and wrong as we do pain and pleasure," she said trying to fortify the man. "It is the human condition. And Charlotte understands you are not the same man you once were."

He blinked and shook his head. "Will she? Will he?" he breathed out smoke and took a deep breath.

"You still going to Willingdon?" she asked.

Sidney nodded. "Yes, but I have lost my chance to do it alone. The Babington's, as well as my family all, want to go there and fetch her tomorrow."

She nodded. "Ah yes, the great journey to tell her of her fortune is turning into quite the todo. I do not think it well to inform her among such a large group but I am afraid your brother's enthusiasm and Esther's exuberance cannot be diverted."

Sidney nodded and inhaled deeply as the smoke burned his lungs tightening his chest as anxiety spread through him and his stomach dropped. "It is not how I would wish her informed."

Lady Susan adjusted her shawl. "Well, you best figure out how to remedy that, for they intend on leaving bright and early in quite a carriage party."

Sidney frowned. "Are you not coming along?"

Laughing she answered. "I would not miss it for the world. You are welcome to join me." she offered.

Sidney shook his head. "No, I will ride 'Sir'," he said seriously.

"Lovely horse," she commented. "I have seen he is of fair breeding. Does he have speed?"

He nodded. "That horse got me to Scotland in record time, and I never had to switch him out. It is as if he is drunk on running." he thought of the horse who had made the distance of the whole of England in just days. He smiled knowing Lady Susan was familiar with horses for she kept a stable full of racing stock.

"I have some mares that he could match with if you were of the mind." she offered.

Sidney shrugged. "I suppose he would like that."

Susan smiled and turned. "Well, we shall talk of that at another time. I do believe you will need sleep to see Miss Heywood at your best," she said concerned.

He nodded. "Ah yes, I have been holding back on returning back to Trafalgar House on account of my overly excited family. I am afraid Tom thinks of this as he did of Mrs. Campion's fortune. His to plan and spend."

Frowning Lady Susan nodded. "Yes, or perhaps your brother is just happy that for once finance and the heart align. Providential I would say," she said simply turning Sidney's sharper thoughts to a dull blunt edge.

He looked down and sighed his shoulders drooping. "I suppose you are probably right."

Turning at the door she cautioned. "However, if you do join with Charlotte be sure that he is not allowed to keep tapping you on the shoulder. The man could rival my own dearest. Tom could spend a king's fortune ten times over with his eccentric ideas at the general catastrophic risk of everyone around him. A man like that must be managed or he will be a pebble in your shoe until the end of his days."

Sidney looked down in thought and nodded. "Yes, you are quite right." he smiled. "Thank you Lady Worcester, for all you have been to Charlotte, and your words just now."

She smiled and blushed a little. "You are welcome. But I must confess my motives have not been entirely unselfish. I had intended other paths for her and different levels of greatness. She wanted no part. But I do believe I shall have a small return on investment." She shrugged and batted her lashes. "Pity, she would have been good, better than myself I would wager. But alas, this is almost entirely of her own making and more to her preference for life I believe. I am exceedingly happy for her future."

Sidney smiled. "So I have your support in my suit?" he asked.

She nodded. "Of course Mr. Parker. But I would encourage you to move quickly."

Sidney watched as she left him in the darkened street and he looked down the Pavillion and stared at the apartment that he was readying. Seemed a useless pursuit now. She had Sanditon House, a London house and thirty-eight cottages, among other investments he had found after Mr. Hale had outlined a fortune in liquid form of forty thousand pounds but a variety of investments accruing an income of thirty thousand a year. Not to mention the land fortune.

What kind of future would she want with a fortune like that? The question overwhelmed him.