Chapter 120

Tom noticed the young lad in his study looking over his miniature metropolis of Sanditon much like Charlotte had when she had been about.

He had been confused at his presence and went immediately to Diana who filled him in on what he had missed.

Sidney had come by just as the rains started and he had brought this little urchin in and asked them to watch him for the time being. Mary being the tender sort immediately went to order him a bath and sent out for some borrowed clothes from a neighbor. The ones he was wearing were to be burned.

He had been told the child had eaten his way through four helpings of food and acted as if he was afeared he would never eat again. It had made him sad.

He could not refuse such a request from Sidney. Especially when he heard the boy was expected to work at Sanditon House. He could always use and insider's ear and children often spoke freely.

"Young Mabbin Gimlic is it?" Tom asked coming into the room. His chest puffed up making him seem more important.

Mabbin startled and the rooftop he was about to touch delicately he accidentally knocked down.

"Like what you see?" Tom asked smugly.

Mabbin frowned. "Just a bunch of buildings." he shrugged. "But this beach, it is really that flat?" he asked.

Tom frowned and looked. "You haven't been to the beach yet?"

Mabbin shook his head. "I got a glimpse of it as we came, but I was mighty curious about the footing on what is it... Sand?"

Tom nodded and frowned confused at the boy's interest in sand.

"What an interesting fixation." Tom pondered and frowned as he looked at the boy curiously.

Mary came in. "Time to go Tom." she looked to Mabbin. "And you young man, you rest while our Maid Prudence pampers you."

Mabbin blushed. "No mam' I got to earn my keep. People like me don't deserve so much."

Mary who had a tender heart went to him her brows furrowed. "My dear boy, please do not say such things about yourself again. When my brother-in-law Sidney takes a shine to someone it is usually for good reason."

Mabbin nodded and looked down nervously and nodded. The idea of more tarts in the kitchen distracted him from the sadness in the woman's eyes.

"You go on ahead my dear, I will have a word with young Mabbin." Tom nodded his wife to go ahead to wait by the door. She nodded and left him and the boy alone a moment.

"Now tomorrow Sidney expects you to go one up to Sanditon House and even perhaps meet Lady Denham. If you do would you be so kind as to let me know how you find her? She has been ailing of late and I just want to be sure she is hale and hearty." Tom explained.

The boy frowned and nodded. "Yes sir, but why would she see me?" he asked. "I am just to be a stable boy."

Tom nodded and frowned. "Normally she likes to know everyone that steps foot on her premise. I do hope you meet her. She is a force of nature and I would be curious to know how you find her. A smart lad like you..."

Mabbin nodded uncomfortable with praise and looked back down at the model. "I will fix it Mr. Parker." looking sadly on the pieces he had caused to ruin.

Tom looked back at the model. "Oh, that old thing." he laughed. "I already have plans of commissioning a newer and more updated rendering. You see this version burned down last year and what is shown is not even as it is now. Sanditon has it's own legs economically and the merchants are flocking to us. We will need more buildings, and that means I need a bigger board."

"Best go find Prudence and a nice tart," Tom said encouragingly.

The boy smiled and brightened. "Yes, sir."

Coming into the Foyer he found his wife waiting. "Have Arthur and Diana gone already?" he asked.

Mary nodded. "Seems they don't want to miss the gossip."

Tom sighed. "Indeed, we are quite late ourselves. I wonder if Sidney and Charlotte have managed to rest up. I would imagine they are dead on their feet tonight." he said taking his coat.

Mary smiled. "I don't know. He is free now. Maybe that will give them both an energy."

Coming to his wife he was serious. "You know that our futures here are in doubt. You think he should shackle himself to a penniless girl, now of all times?" he shook his head. "If Lady Denham is unwell he should try more than ever to find either a rich investor or a new fiance. We must advise him of this."

Mary looked at him coldly. "No, I shall advise him as I see fit. You have shown yourself to be a poor judge of everything from money to matters of the heart. He has no need of either of our opinions or advisements. Do not forget who is paying the bills at this time Tom Parker." she turned on her heel and went out the door.

His face growing cold he closed his eyes pained. The marriage had been on unsteady footing since it had all happened last summer. Mary naturally blamed him, and he blamed himself. But didn't she see he was trying to keep everything afloat? Did she want them living on the street or worse?

Mary had scruples but too much of them to know when to set them aside.

He needed to take his chance tonight to tell Sidney of his concerns for the future and if fates still smiled on the venture his brother would have news of the woman himself and her well being. Then perhaps another conversation with Edward Denham.