Chapter 171

Sidney was not surprised when Warrick came to see him the next morning. He had to track him down on account of all the things to address before he brought his new wife home. The commissioning of furnishings for a home that was still unfinished gave him pause.

"So this will be your home and not Sanditon house?" Warrick asked looking around.

Sidney nodded. "She does not feel ready for a home the size of Sanditon House and wishes to keep a smaller home in-town near friends."

Warrick looked up the stair to the stained glass. "Seems like her." he nodded. "Nice to know money did not change her, but I suppose I never expected it would."

Sidney noted the seriousness of the man's tone and frowned. "What can I do for your Captain?" he asked.

Warrick looked around still at the home Sidney was making for himself and his bride.

"I came to see if you would help host a ball in a hurry. The Prince Regent needs more entertainment since the flop with my friend and for that, I take full responsibility," he said. "I can fund it, but being able to use the assembly rooms, and setting up all the catering...." his voice fell off. "I know Eliza could use some help in that endeavor."

Sidney shook his head. "I am afraid Charlotte is quite busy but Esther and your cousin Lady Worcester would be able I am sure. As to the Assembly rooms they are yours. I will have Tom make all the necessary arrangements."

Warrick nodded. "My thanks." He answered. "How is business?" he asked.

Sidney scratched at his head. "Well enough. My fiance has some ideas about how Sanditon House could be of use to the future of Sanditon and we will be exploring those avenues among other consolidations."

"Yes, we will" Charlotte's voice rang out. "But I have a consolidation I wish to settle now. I would like to talk to you both since you are already in the same room," she said.

Warrick stood tipped his hat. "Miss Heywood. It is good to see you so well."

Sidney frowned. "I thought we were going to talk about it after the wedding?" he said recalling the conversation of the day before.

She shrugged. "After the wedding, people will think it was your idea, instead I wish it to already be settled before our that time while it could be viewed as my business."

Warrick frowned confused and shook his head as he enjoyed the momentary discord between intendeds. "How can I be of service," he said smiling at the irritated face of Sidney Parker.

Charlotte did not seem to care at all. "Captain Warrick I would like to buy out yours and Eliza's investment," she said finally.

Captain Warrick smiled. "You too? He shook his head. Mrs. and Mr. Molyneux are trying to talk me into allowing them to buy me out."

Charlotte shook her head. "Please don't. They have so many good causes and hopes for the slaves in Antiga, I do not wish them to use their fortune on Sanditon when others need it more."

Warrick looked down struck by Charlotte's heart and wish. "I think that would suit my wife and myself. I have other interests besides property. I prefer business. The money moves more freely." he said. "Have your solicitor come to me tomorrow and I will sign the necessary papers."

She smiled and nodded. "Thank you."

"If that will be all, I suppose I have other calls to make." he said tipping his hat.

Charlotte frowned as he passed. "He was in rather such a hurry." she mused as she looked to her frustrated fiance. "What?"

He shrugged. "Oh, I just thought we were going to decide together about the debt to Warrick." Internally he was very frustrated.

She nodded. "Yes, and you said you liked it but wished to talk later. Well, I don't. You were favorable and I wanted to do it." she smiled. "I am sorry, but I did not wish you to decide this. I want it simple. God knows it has been complicated enough."

He turned from her and took a heaving sigh and then turned. "You are quite right," Sidney said as he turned back. "I am being a fool." he smiled nervously.

Charlotte smiled. "No, you are not. Just being concerned for everyone as you often are."

He scoffed. "And once you thought I cared for so few."

She rolled her eyes. "Yes, of course, you would remind me of that now would you." her hand linked through his. "What did Captain Warrick come to see you about? I heard from Mary that he had come around looking for you."

He nodded. "Seems there is not enough entertainment for the Prince Regent," he said looking down. "He wanted help organizing a ball."

She nodded. "And how could you be of service for that?" she asked.

"You see, the Assembly rooms are a family business," he said flirtatiously.

She smiled and looked around. "I see the house is coming along."

Charlotte paced to the stairwell.

"It will be ready for us two days before the wedding. I was just debating the commission of more furnishings."

"Don't we can deal with it later after we are married," she said as she looked around.

He laughed. "What like we were going to deal with Captain Warrick and Eliza? No. I think I had better get it done before so that others don't think I can provide a roof over my new wife's head."

Charlotte laughed. "I do not think anyone would think you incapable of that."

He pulled her to him. "You might be surprised at the various rumors and assumptions I have had to endure in days past."

She blushed. "What like the accusations I leveled at you in the past?"

He bent his head to hers and groaned. "Worse, but none stung like the ones you assumed of me. I must work hard for you to never have such assumptions again now won't I?"

She shook her head. "No, I do not believe I could ever think ill of you again."

He pulled her to him and kissed her hard. "Nor I of you Admiral Heywood," he whispered.