Chapter 77

Bell woke Charlotte early at sunrise the morning of the scheduled ball to prepare for the day with a warm cup of coffee and a few minutes of solitude to reflect on the happenings of the day and night before.

An easy calm descended the stormy night that Lady Susan had joined the party and it had carried dependably into the next day. It was as if the cultured woman ran the bad social climate and bad weather off. For the day before had shined brightly under the spring sun, highlighting the flowers sprouting around the town to greet those invited to the private Sanditon House ball.

The bright white of the new Terrace Pavillion shone new and fresh under the spring light and true to Sidney's promise it had been rebuilt and in many ways was far grander looking than ever before. The interior colors were lighter than they had been when Tom picked them and Charlotte agreed with the changes. She was pleased to find that the eye could be pulled to the large expansive windows to see the village and the sea laid out like a carpet before them instead of being caught in that dark green wallpaper.

The day before she had gone to Sanditon with Lady Susan and Mr. Parker attended with Mrs. Campion as a show of unity in the Sanditon venture to greet the many important guests staying in the newly finished and now partially furnished apartments that Mr. Parker and Lady Denham offered the utility of for the duration of the three weeks agreed.

All of the building equipment and scaffolding were no longer needed in the areas they were using so they were shuffled off and a wall was built and whitewashed to hide the construction that would resume in a matter of weeks.

A dozen cooks that were hired from London and transported there to make meals for the families when they were eating in and another dozen servants to tend to their every need.

She knew Mr. Sidney Parker was laying out perhaps more capital in this than even Lady Denham. This made her even more hopeful that it would end with contracts, more contracts than he could ever dream.

The laborers did not mind for they were still being paid while having time to help set up events for the party and a busy buzz lighted on the town of Sanditon. Peddlers had been attracted to the movement of the grand people from the papers that reported and came with their caravans and settled along the streets where it was permitted and near the beach where many would walk by.

Lady Denham had not been able to see anyone the night before so Charlotte was eager to tell her of all that had happened. Nearly everyone who was invited came in droves and those that had properly RSVP'ed were shown their assigned rooms. Those that were not accounted for had other accommodations as close to fitting their station as possible at Mr. Parker's expense but he seemed more than pleased to do it. Mrs. Campion smiling on his arm.

Looking out her window she watched a fox run across the lawn and she saw it chased by another. Perhaps they were courting she wondered to herself.

It made her think of Otis and Georgiana. The letter she had asked Charlotte to see sent would be better done by Captain Warrick since he seemed to have a place in the intrigue. Charlotte approached him in the morning before she left handing him the letter with a glared. "I think you should send this rather than me risk my reputation slipping it into Lady Denham's mail. Since you do business with him now." she had said to him with suspicion.

He smiled and took it from her lightly. "My pleasure Miss Heywood," he smirked and laughed. "Capital, Capital my dear." he laughed again making her nervous before she even went into town to greet the guests. Why did she feel he was busy making mischief for her and somehow he was to blame for all the discomfort and unease.

Putting her hand to her head she sighed thinking scattered thoughts about the past few days and stretched as the morning light streamed in.

Bell shortly returned and helped her into a modest morning dress and robe which buttoned at the front but she let it hang open. Her hair hung down wavy and had grown almost to the middle of her back now.

Leaving her room she made her way quietly to Lady Denham's private chambers where she found her still deeply asleep, her maid sat beside her already sewing something.

"How is she?" Charlotte whispered as she pulled her warmer shawl around her for the house was cold that morning as the fires were being relit or feeding them to a warmer flame now the house was awakening.

The servant nodded. "Well. She took a little medicine and drifted off again this morning." she should be asleep for some time yet. "But she did say she wished to have an audience with both you and Mr. Sidney Parker today before the ball of course. He has already been informed of the audience at tea time," she whispered.

Charlotte nodded and turned to see to the many other things she had to tend to before breakfast. Bell was getting her bath ready with the other maids for after breakfast. Today was supposed to be spent pampering and resting for the festivities could run very late if the company was agreeable and the energy was high.

This conservation of energy was opportunity for the most casual and mussed appearances of all at the breakfast table. Esther's hair was down and a little rumbled and her own morning dress was covered modestly by a green velvet robe for warmth.

Babington too looked less put together with his pants on, but only a white linen shirt on with a heavy robe around his shoulders.

Lady Susan wore a lovely white and lace morning dress with the most divine silk robe with her hair pinned messily above her head as if she did it herself. Her relaxed posture made Charlotte envious of her own stiff and anxious one.

Sidney was the exception to the sloppy gathering at the morning meal. He stood now looking clean and ready for the day as he ever did. All that he was missing was his top hat and cane.

Charlotte assumed that he had washed at the cove. He regarded her stiffly but she could sense that it was only a wall and no feelings had actually changed.

As Charlotte buttered her muffin she frowned at the two empty seats. Mrs. Campion and Captain Warrick were still standing empty even though breakfast had been laid for nearly a quarter an hour.

She turned to the door where a servant stood. "Have all the guests been informed that the morning meal stands ready. They best hurry if they wish warm tea?" she asked the footman.

He nodded. "Mrs. Campion will be down shortly as to Captain Warrick he left for Sanditon an hour or more ago," he said.

Esther frowned. "Why was I not informed?" she asked. As the hostess, she expected to know all the comings and goings of her guests.

The footman shook his head. "I do not know Lady Babington."

She put down her fork in frustration just as Mrs. Campion joined them. "Good morning," she said brightly taking the empty seat next to Mr. Parker.

"Good morning Mrs. Campion, I trust you slept well." Lady Susan greeted her.

Mrs. Campion smiled. "I did, and yourself?" she asked.

"Well," she answered. "To be awoken by the dawn is a divine thing indeed," she said with a sigh. "I do believe that is one of the best rooms I have ever had the fortune to sleep in," she said looking to the table.

Charlotte nodded. "That side of the house has the morning light. I enjoy it too." she smiled.

Mrs. Campion shrugged. "My room does not catch that light I suppose. I find it all well enough for I prefer to sleep in."

Esther nodded. "I prefer to sleep the morning away in London, but not here in this backwater." she smiled. "The nightlife is so active in the Capital where here it is quieter. Except for tonight. I intend to nap after tea so I can find the energy to dance the night away."

Mrs. Campion smiled. "Indeed, I do so enjoy dancing, and there will be ever so many partners."

Charlotte caught Sidney gazing at her over his paper that he had picked up shortly after Mrs. Campion had joined the table.

She felt herself blushing under his deep hungry gaze. What could he have been thinking?