Chapter 98

Charlotte entered the Crown hotel only to find it in a state not to be seen. She had rarely stepped foot into the place. And only most recently, she had sat with Sidney at a table the Hotel owner was putting to rights.

"Can I help ye Miss Heywood?" he asked kindly as he set a broken wobbly chair up.

She nodded. "I am here to see Miss Brereton. Can you point me to her room?"

He rolled his eyes. "It was the gentleman Mr. Crowe's but he gave it up and is now only finding his sleep in my own bed." he scoffed. "At least he paid handsomely for it." He went back to sweeping. "The lady just ordered up some tea," he replied with his back turned.

Charlotte nodded and murmured her thanks as she climbed the stairs amidst the broken glass and she looked back to the man. "Did something happen here last night?" she asked.

He shook his head and cursed to the point of causing her to blush. "London Gentlemen and their sport. Don't you worry, they will be getting a severe bill from me. Mark my words."

Charlotte frowned. "Was Mr. Sidney Parker among them?" she asked.

The Hotelkeeper turned and nodded. "He did most of the damage." he shuffled about as he answered. "The man has a death wish."

Charlotte's gut clenched and she rose the stair only to find the door had opened.

"Oh Charlotte," Clara greeted her familiarly. "Come in and sit while I fetch the tea," she said opening the door for her.

Entering she found a cozy room with a little table that she sat at. The space was clean and tidy with a large trunk empty in the corner and dresses and petticoats laying in an organized fashion on the bed.

Charlotte pulled off her gloves and then followed by her bonnet. Her silk shawl rested snuggly around her shoulders as she stuffed her gloves in the hollow of her bonnet and hung it on the back of her chair.

"The breakfast here is plain fare," Clara said entering with both the tea and a modest jam and biscuit spread.

Charlotte smiled. "I have a large family. I am used to sensible fare." trying to put Clara at ease. She seemed nervous and on edge.

Clara Brereton looked down sadly. "I do not have a large family... indeed...I have no one left." she said simply. "My mother passed away five years ago, and my brother and sister died in the workhouse." she lamented as she poured the tea.

Charlotte looked on the woman sadly. "I am sorry to hear that."

"Lady Denham is the only family I have left." she said as she sat down. "sugar?" she asked offering a lump.

"Please," Charlotte whispered feeling a strange foreboding as she took the cup handed to her after it was prepared. being thirsty from the walk she was glad it was not too hot for she drank it down swiftly.
Charlotte asked. "You implied you needed help?" she blinked her increasingly heavy eyes.

Clara asked. "Yes, and I am ashamed of it." she lamented honestly. "What I need will not be easy for you. In fact, I can't even ask it of you," she confessed.

Charlotte shook her head. "If I can reasonably help I would be glad too." replying honestly having drunk the entire cup.

Clara smiled. "You are so good, and kind Charlotte. I confess that I don't deserve it." she reached for her hand. "I just wish the obstacles that keep me from mending the connections with Sanditon to disappear," she whispered.

Charlotte frowned finding that her vision blurred and she felt oddly tired. "Obstacles, what could be in your way?" she blinked.

Clara's eyes darkened as she watched Charlotte as she set down the cup slowly.

Nodding Clara smiled slightly. "Be at ease my friend," she whispered. "All will be understood shortly."

Charlotte frowned confused as she started to slump in her chair. "What did you-" she started but the room was fading and her understanding of everything around with it.

Charlotte could hear the seagulls and the crashing of waves on the beach. Sidney was her last thought and fear for him and his self-destruction as she lost all consciousness.

Clara sat primly and waited till Charlotte had completely fallen into a deeply induced sleep by a hefty dose of Laudanum. Something she had managed to acquire from a doctor of significantly reduced morals.

Once certain Charlotte was deeply asleep she sighed as she knew it would take great effort to heft her into the trunk on her own. She could not ask anyone's help for that would expose her as a kidnapper.

Pulling the trunk over she tried to put Charlotte's feet in first, then she went to the woman's arms and lifted. Her deadweight was significant but with great effort, Clara managed to get her halfway in. Charlotte slumped over the side.

"You are little, but robust my dear," Clara whispered. "That lovely figure of yours is to be greatly admired." she laughed a little to herself. "If it wasn't for your close connection to Lady Denham I would not need to do this," she said settling Charlotte gently as she could into the fetal position. "I do apologize for this and intend to make it up to you if I can," she whispered.

Putting the coat over her she tried to make her as comfortable as possible.

"I do hope I gave you enough to sleep all the way to London. I should be very frightened to wake up in a trunk," she stood above her. "I just could not risk giving you too much. I don't wish you dead and me guilty of murder."

She could hear footsteps and she hastily closed the lid over Charlotte's unconscious body and clicked it shut.

A knock sounded and she turned. "Miss Brereton."

She straightened herself. "Yes?" she answered and opened the door.

"Captain Warrick's carriage is out front," he whispered.

She nodded and pointed to the trunk. "When I am with him have them load this in."

Two strapping lads came in and she smiled nervously.

"It is heavy." the tall red-headed lad muttered and looked at his partner nervously.

She laughed. "It is some of my heavier belongings." She said as she followed them down the stairs to the porch and stood.

The Captain noticed her as he walked down the lane. "Ah, Miss Brereton. Care for a stroll before I leave?" he asked.

She smiled and fluttered her lashes. "It would be a pleasure, but not a long one. I know you have many engagements in London before you may return and I would much rather long for your return." she flattered and nervously looked behind her to the men loading and securing the trunk that held Charlotte.

"Why are you not going?" Warrick asked. "I thought to offer you to accompany me."

Flashing him a smile she answered. "I cannot give up what I have fought so long for."

He nodded. "Just so long as it does not interfere with my business. Stay away from Charlotte." he looked around. "I missed her this morning. I heard she was to meet with you."

Clara's face dropped. "She did not stay long. Said she was to walk along the beach." she lied.

Warrick sighed. He had hoped to have the last glimpse of her before all hell broke loose but he had missed her having spent the night in Mrs. Campion's chambers. It was in the wee hours that he ventured back when he was sure hardly any servants would catch him.

"I should let you get on the road," Clara said suddenly and pulled her shawl around her. "I wish you a swift journey Captain Warrick." she smiled to him sweetly. After he discovered her disposal of Charlotte on him he would be enraged. She would deal with his anger later.

He lifted his hat and smiled making his way to the Carriage.

"Have a wonderful day Miss Brereton," he said entering the interior of the carriage and knocked on the top for the driver to drive on.

Clara watched her eyes on the trunk and a smile crept up her face. What a scheme and it had been pulled off flawlessly.