Chapter 20

Charlotte sat in the library going over more ledgers of Susans when the frustrating Captain Warrick knocked on the door. He had escorted Mrs. Lambe and herself back to Pessham house three days ago and had hardly quit their company the entire time. Often baiting her in some way or another out of earshot of Lady Susan. He had done it increasingly with amusement as time went on and he had realized she was not one to tattle on hurt feelings and bruised egos.

"My dear cousin said you were up here and I but thought to offer my wishes for your well being and see what on earth Susan meant when she told me you were managing her affairs for the time being." he frowned and entered.

Charlotte froze. She had just been in the middle of calculating something rather difficult and had been reprimanding herself for being too distracted. Georgiana had just told her that very day that Sidney was returning to London as with the risk of running into him so hence her difficulty concentrating.

"What of it?" she asked impatiently in regards to Captain Warrick's interest in her bookkeeping.

He shrugged. "Well my dear cousin is a rather private person and does not usually let just anyone pour over her financial history and schemes." his eyes appraised her accusingly. "Why does she trust you so?"

Charlotte wondered at the suspicion he held in regards to her. Blinking she imagined it did look from the outside that she must be exploiting the advantage of her association with Lady Susan to the fullest extent and her cheeks burned with embarrassment on how it looked.

Charlotte sighed trying to not think ill of Captain Warrick without first arguing in his favor and trying to understand him. Like Sidney, he may have more depth to him yet. To be concerned for his cousin did show good regard of family well being that should be commended.

"Lady Susan liked the suggestions I made and has asked me to see about downsizing and minimizing costs where they are not necessary." she frowned. "Seems she wants to save money," Charlotte said her tone implying more people should do the same. "I am not privy to all her dealings and I much prefer it that way."

He cleared his throat realizing she was in there trying to stem the flow of excess and he thought that wise since the aristocracy were under great scrutiny with the papers and caricatures being passed around judging the wealthy and affluents choices of expense chief among them the Prince Regnant and those closest to him.

"Right you are," he said scanning a shelf thoughtlessly turning his back to her for a moment. "I just a wonder that a girl from nowhere would manage to care so much about how the rich spend their money. I would imagine they want it spent so more can trickle down."

Charlotte frowned and deliberated on that statement a moment and he turned to await an answer he had already learned she would eventually give upon at least a momentary pause.

"If only it did trickle down rightly to far-flung places," she said simply. Not really the detailed opinion she wished to give but she had learned better to not air her opinions out among acquaintances freely.

He scoffed and relaxed his neck looking up exposing a very sharp jawline. "Like Sandtion?" he rolled his eyes and took in her change of posture. "Oh yes, I have heard about Miss Heywood's ever precious Sanditon." He laughed. "My sources tell me it's known for great Ass milk." he teased mercilessly. His long dark hair fell carelessly and she rolled her eyes and looked away. He was hardly agreeable but she could not deny he had his good physical attributes.

Charlotte stood and glared. "Sanditon's charms are not simple or something to find bitter amusement in the form of teasing. It is simply a wonder and the vision of the Parker brothers are commendable." her eyes flashed and her tempter blazed.

Warrick had to frown realizing how fetching Miss Heywood was when angry. It called for a closer inspection of her character and manner of personality.

His face softening but not wishing to lose the ground on the conversation he stepped closer to her and she frowned as if the motion was entirely unwelcome but she did not flinch.

"A wonder to model one's self after a larger, far more grand project of Brighton?" he scoffed. "It all sounds derivative." he rolled his eyes bored and his tone droll.

Charlotte frowned and sighed defeated a moment. "I have not seen Brighton so I cannot speak on its merits, but neither can you judge Sanditon when you yourself have never been."

Looking her over a long moment he took in her logic and her sense. He may have thought he won the higher ground but there with that last statement he was momentary without words.

"Upon my word Miss Heywood...If you were but there I just might have cause," he said his voice low and a spark blooming inside him.

Her eyes wide she noted the change in atmosphere and she bowed. "Excuse me, I am feeling rather-" she shook her head frustrated and confused. She felt something and she just thought of Sidney and how she missed him and his challenging countenance.

She did not see how his eyes followed her fleeing form with stirred interest.

Coming out of the library she retreated down the curved stair to the parlor where Lady Susan had a few ladies for company.

"Oh my dear," Lady Susan called as she saw Charlotte retreated. "Come, you must join our little gathering."

Charlotte regarded the now more familiar group. "I am sorry, I feel I need some air. The library fire was quite hot," she said going for her coat.

"But my dear!" Susan called. "It's cold and wet!"

Charlotte laughed. "I will be fine." Looking to the ladies she curtsied while hurriedly putting on her bonnet and gloves. "A little walk will be just the tic. Will it not?" she said warmly. "I will join you when I need to warm up again," she said bidding them goodbye for the moment.

Once outside she tried to clear her lungs. There was something so suffocating about London society and she could not quite put her finger on it. Much like she had at the Ball in London over six months before she had been unable to breathe and longed for the open cliffs of Sanditon. You could not breathe like that in London. The smoke-tinted the air and it felt heavy but it was better than inside that library with Captain Warrick.