Chapter 152

Two days had gone by and all the business was finished. He had worked tirelessly to arrange everything for the upcoming events, even so far as to dream a little over the apartment he had been saving for his own use. Originally it was to be small, but now he tried to make subtle changes to walls in changing the layouts of the neighboring apartment and his architect who came in after Mr. Stringer left seemed upset with him, but the smile still tugged at his mouth as he looked around the space that he had originally intended on being just for himself. With the changes, It was still not as large as Trafalgar House, but more than enough for him and Charlotte if she accepted him.

Moving through the space the were walls bare in most rooms and ready for decoration which he frowned seriously as he wondered if Charlotte enjoyed decorating?

Moving down the switchback staircase he hesitated on the landing and tried to imagine the sounds of little feet through the house one day.

It would now be a large enough home for a servant or two and some children. Though not too many until he could move them into something larger. Perhaps a home they would build together. He smiled imagining the brilliant woman he loved pouring over architectural designs. That seemed much more to her taste.

Walking a turn, his cane standing out proudly from him he surveyed the foyer and a smile pulled at the corner of his mouth. He would take great pleasure in learning her preferences if she but allowed him to.

Moving to the back of the apartment he found the workers had managed to fit the entire space with custom bookcases. It was already decorated with some dark blue wallpaper and ready to be used since this space had been long decided on before the changes had taken place. He pulled out his Heraclitus and opened it to her message.

"Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but one, one is a Warrior, and he will bring the others back."- Heraclitus

Her message was smudged from how many times he read it. Reminding himself that she had told him in written word that she loved him. Closing it he held it to his face as he thought of her.

The pull was strong now. He could not ignore it any longer. He had to go back for her. It would seem rushed and hurried for her family and deny them the time to court her as he had wanted, but he could not allow her to think him indifferent. Far from it. He was thoroughly engaged in all-consuming thought of her, and near intoxicating excitement at the mere possibility of making her his wife.

Placing the book on the shelf he smiled knowing it was the first of many that they would adorn their private library and left the room with more focused purpose.

Tom had entered. "Sidney, there you are," he said brightly. "The solicitor is doing well, I think very soon we will make his presence known. Perhaps tonight."

Sidney nodded disinterestedly. "I am glad the man is fine, Lord and Lady Babington will be very relieved to have Sir Edward out of their lives."

Tom nodded. "It is lucky I found him and that Mabbin ran off you could say. Right place, right time you could say?" he pressed causing Sidney to wonder at the real point he was trying to make.

Nodding he looked about. "Yes, I suppose a child in distress is lucky," he said sarcastically.

Tom blustered. "Oh, Sidney you know that is not what I mean."

Sidney shook his head. "You should not be overly concerned at the future of Lady Denham's estate any longer. It does you no credit at this juncture," he said pulling out a smoke and lighting it.