Chapter 132

Lady Susan reclined on the settee that lay in the corner of Charlotte's large guest chamber and yawned. "Honestly Sanditon is far more diverting than Brighton or London combined."

Charlotte turned and looked at her with a pained frown. "I hardly call elopement and death diverting," she said tying the sash around her own waist since Bell had been excused to tend to her own person.

Susan leaned forward and shook her head. "Oh but it is." Her face was serious. "I liked Lady Denham and my cousin has brought scandal to our name again. But I am quite used to that." she stood and came to help Charlotte as she had changed her dress into a dark blue dress that was almost mourning wear. She took the ends of the silken black ribbon. "I also have the up close and personal view of two people who are now free to love one another."

Charlotte looked away Susan noted the deep crimson of her cheek.

"What is it, my dear?" Lady Susan pressed.

Charlotte shook her head. "A lot has happened, and I am not sure he is actually all that free. He is still on the brink of ruin and depending on who inherits or no matter who interests he is probably going to have to find another fortune to marry."

Lady Susan frowned and then laughed as she turned the younger around. "Charlotte I have never known you to be a fool. Mr. Sidney Parker could only choose that path once. He is not one to do so again."

Charlotte shook her head. "But should he not?" Shaking her head she sat down frustrated. "To know that they all could be facing ruin, I would feel like I have trapped him."

Lowering herself Susan sat by Charlotte and took her hand. "Your Mr. Parker is not exactly in the same position he was when the fire happened. He now has a large ready Pavilion that is already taking rents, and another that will soon be finished. He is not so much without prospects to have entirely lost hope that he would recover." she assured her.

Charlotte nodded. "I just feel he would be making a terrible mistake," she whispered.

Lady Susan shook her head. "My dear, if he chose you I do believe you would be the true making of him."

Charlotte shook her head. "No, he was already a self-made man."

Lady Susan rolled her eyes. "Yes, but you gave him back his soul." she shook her head. "My dear Charlotte, his eyes light up like lanterns when you are near. While he was tied to that viper who is now my kinswoman he looked lost especially when you were around." She giggled. "You remember when we first met?" Susan asked.

Charlotte nodded. "Yes."

Looking down lady Susan smiled. "How befuddled you were..."

Charlotte scoffed. "I didn't even understand what I was feeling then."

Nodding Susan wrapped her arm around her. "He didn't either at the Regatta, but he did when he thought he could lose you." she cradled her friend's hand and smiled. "He has that look in his eye now. He fears losing you again."
Charlotte shook her head. "So much to be settled first, and I have not even written my family to tell them where I went and that I have returned to Sanditon. If they were to hear it otherwise I would have more to explain." she looked ahead. "We must bury Lady Denham and tend to the reading of the will once the solicitor comes, and then-"

"Trivial matters." Susan sighed waving off Charlotte's excuses. "I hope you have encouraged him."

Charlotte sighed. "He kissed me last night," she whispered shyly. "I kissed him back."

Susan smiled wide, "And was it chaste or very passionate?" she pressed but Charlotte just looked away embarrassed. "Come on, now don't leave your dearest friend without all the details."

Charlotte shook her head. "It was not chaste," she blushed meeting her eyes nervously. "But it wasn't passionate-" She stopped, "well it was but he restrained himself."

Susan's brows shot up. "Really, hum."

Charlotte smiled and looked up. "It felt comforting. I was really upset to hear Lady Denham passed while I was running around after my mistakes. He followed me out to the terrace."

"Did he not talk with you before entering the ball?" she asked knowing because she had ridden to Sanditon with them.

Charlotte nodded. "He said he did not want me in doubt of his intentions after he realized I knew that his engagement with Mrs. Campion was broken," she said.

"And?" Susan asked.

Charlotte rolled her eyes and exhaled sharply. "Well, I told him not to feel obligated."

Susan looked at Charlotte as if she had grown two heads. "You what?"

Standing up Charlotte paced. "I don't want him to renew his, whatever this version of courtship is unless it is true and not just a passing fancy that he thinks he wants again. Like Mrs. Campion was."

Lady Susan's mouth dropped uncharacteristically. Normally she was composed but for just a moment she could not believe what she was hearing.

"Charlotte, I am all astonishment." she stood and stopped the pacing girl before her by grasping Charlotte's shoulders. "My dear, he was a young, lovesick, and foolish man once. He loved a woman who did not deserve it. Many years later he had hardened and felt all women married only for advancement and comfort, and then he met you." she tucked Charlotte's unruly curls back. "You changed his mind and thawed his hardened heart."

Charlotte blinked back tears.

"I believe his intentions to be earnest." Lady Susan said confidently. "And that hardened heart now soft beats only for you. I know it," she whispered.

Charlotte took a deep breath and nodded. Her hand shook. "I just need a little time perhaps," she whispered.

Lady Susan smiled. "He is anxious to determine your mutual future. I know he will soon manage an opportunity to ask you. I can feel it." Susan frowned seriously. "You would say yes would you not?"

Charlotte took a deep breath as she thought about it. Would they be happy? Could they have changed too much?