Chapter 167

Sidney was smiling from ear to ear as they walked back to the group.

He and his intended had managed to sneak some private moments on the water then again behind a tree, but only stolen kisses. Pressed with urgency and need but always keeping aware of the surroundings.

Reluctantly charlotte had pulled him up the hill out of the shadow of the willows, both of their feet damp as they laughed.

Newcomers to the picnic could no longer be ignored.

"Ah, I see the young heiress and gracious host has finally come." Captain Warrick said in greeting.

Charlotte frowned and smiled. "Good to see you again Captain. Though I had not expected it so soon."

He smiled and nodded as he took in her easy appearance. Her hair hung down her back and wild, the dress she wore was white, and as his wife had whispered just moments ago under her breath with the judgment that Miss Heywood's crisp white hem was covered in mud. She looked more the farm girl than a wealthy landed heiress.

"Mrs. Warrick." Charlotte acknowledged. "It is good to see you...as well," she said hesitantly as Sidney stood near at hand not speaking but the two exes glanced cooly at the other.

Eliza lifted her chin with an air of superiority. "You must be so pleased to now have your life settled Miss Heywood," she said assuming.

Charlotte rolled her eyes slightly and then smiled politely. "I have no notion what you mean. My life feels far from settled. More to manage than I had before I assure you."

Sidney took her hand and kissed the back of it. "You will have far less to manage soon my dear," he said and nodded.

Eliza frowned and shook her head a little. "Did we miss some news?" she asked nosily.

Sidney nodded and looked to Charlotte. "I think it is time to make our announcement," he whispered and she nodded and looked to her family who was milling around.

Sidney cleared his throat. "May I have all of your attention please?" he asked. Arthur fumbled his plate of sandwiches and fruit while Diana smiled as she turned.

The Heywood family seemed to halt where they stood. "Friends, and family I would like to announce that Miss Heywood," he turned to her. "Charlotte," his voice just above a whisper. "has honored me with her hand in marriage," he said with a confident and clearly proud smile.

Warrick could see the happy smiles and he had to stifle his own disappointment.

"It's unseemly," Eliza whispered and turned back to the banquet table.

Warrick leaned back against the table looking opposite the direction she looked. "No my dear Eliza... we are unseemly. Married in a rush, child already in the picture before the wedding." He nodded his head in the direction of the glowing couple. "They are charming."

Eliza whipped her neck around to see what her unscrupulous husband referred to. "I see no charm... Just a farm girl who has more than she deserves and a fool of a man who did not value what he had."

He laughed and sighed. "I see something different." he looked at Eliza. "Why so upset wife?" he whispered. "Miss Heywood has comported herself in every way that is seemly." he smiled and looked down thoughtfully. "Well, almost every way. She did once throw a right hook I did not expect, but that too had provided me a charming shock."

Eliza looked at him shocked. "I suppose that does not surprise me. She always has looked feral and wild. Why ever would she have reason to abuse you in such a manner?" Eliza asked.

Warrick shrugged. "I suppose she had good reason to think that I had something to do with her being stuffed in a trunk and packed up with me to London. I was there procuring our marriage license and helping a business partner in his own romantic ends."

Eliza gaped. "But what happened?" she asked.

Warrick shrugged. "It is not important."

Eliza tossed the napkin down. "Not important?" she asked in a whisper but with the force of a shout. "What is between you and Miss Heywood?" she asked.

He took a drink of the beverage that sat at the table. "Less than hoped." he chuckled. "Mr. Heywood would not have been an easy relation, however." he took in the calm but authoritative man at the edge of the gathering.

Eliza looked at him shocked. "You thought of marriage with Miss Heywood?" she leaned forward angrily. Her voice still only a whisper.

He nodded. "Yes, I did... But I did not think myself the right man for her." he chuckled. "I am as you say, a rake?"

She huffed in irritation and anger. "You are a known womanizer." she shook her head. "She would have only been another plaything." she turned her angry glare on the happy couple who stood together with joy. "You are not capable of real love." Eliza threw at her husband with disdain.

Warrick nodded. "Indeed you may be right. I could not risk that reality on her." he smiled at his wife. "But you, my dear, we know there is no love lost here." he winked.

Her eye twitched and she felt tears infuriatingly gather at the base of her eyes.

"No indeed." she wiped at her eye and turned from all in the gathering. She could not have any of them see her cry.

Warrick offered her a handkerchief from his pocket. "Am I wrong?" he asked suddenly. "Is your heart engaged somewhere?" he asked surprised to see these quiet tears.

She shook her head. "Of course not," she answered shakily and reached for a glass. "It is just the child that moves me to such hysterics."

He nodded and looked down at her slight frame still hiding her condition. "Of course... Who would ever manage to pierce your icy heart?"

Eliza sipped at the bubbly champagne. "Certainly not you," she whispered regretfully.